2012 F150 question

Mr. Micro Edge

So I did a 2012 F150 today (front roll ups). It was easy peasy. When I slid the passenger panel off I heard a metallic clank inside the door wasn't sure what it was figured I'd knock the tint out and deal with it when I was done. When I slid the panel back down I tried to put the small bolt back behind the door handle when I realized what the clank had been. These Fords much like the 2010-and newer Chevrolet/GMC Silverado/Sierra have a little threaded clip that the bolt screws into. This clip had fallen off and that was the clank. No worries right? Wrong.... I naturally broke out the magnet and checked the bottom of the interior of the door.....no clip. Then I noticed that the hole the clip fits on has its own little "pocket" that doesn't appear to go all the way down. However the only access to this "pocket" was through the small hole where the clip is supposed to be affixed. Needless to say I didn't have a problem with the clips moving around like on the chevrolets (easily fixed with the glue trick- see previous post). I just don't know where the clip is or how to get it out of the itty bitty hole.....my magnet wouldn't fit all the way to the back of the "pocket".

Many years under the belt but never lost a clip like this.....:(

Guest Furynation

I feel your pain! I just wrapped up tinting my personal F150 and went through the exact same process. "What was that noise? I'll worry about it when I get done." Go to put door panel back on - hey, this screw has nothing to thread into. Oh @#$@#$. Check the bottom of the door, not there. Checked the entire garage - also not there. Shook the door as hard as possible to see if I could hear it rattle. Nope.

I ended up just putting the door back on without that one screw. To be honest, I didn't even notice it wasn't there when opening and shutting the door. Thankfully, it was my personal vehicle.

Why did you take the panel off? On those you can slide the gasket out just pull back the top of the door panel a little.

I also know they pull out, but still pulled MY first one also just to know. I saw that little pocket but was lucky enough the clipnut didn't fall. Good thing it's not structural.

Why did you take the panel off? On those you can slide the gasket out just pull back the top of the door panel a little.

:bingo I've never pulled a F150 door of this style. bottom seals pull out easy, no screws or tools needed for clean install as if you did pull panel

Archived