New tint yesterday, one window has a bunch of tiny "bubbles"

Guest Blaine B.

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Blaine B.

Well, I have had to go back to the shop TWICE with my other car for corrections and re-dos (not the red car with the lint that I originally posted about). Like I said I had two cars done at this shop in the same week, in addition to my father's two cars.

I went last Tuesday for them to correct a couple of scratches. I even left them a note and they totally missed the window with the largest scratch. So, I took it back Thursday and they replaced the last window tint with the large scratch.

Somehow these scratches must have been caused by their tool. I didn't make the scratches.

Anyway, in one of the windows redone on Tuesday there are two bubbles in the tint. It looked like they had water in them and the shop told me it would take up to two weeks for them to disappear.

However, it has been in the 90s the last two days and the car has been sitting out in direct sunlight, and these bubbles now have the raised spot in the middle that looks white from the outside. I am guessing it was an air pocket in the middle of the water.

I'm absolutely sick of going back for repairs. I work two jobs and it's just really hard to make time. Is there anything I can do about these bubbles myself before too much time passes? I have heard tricks about using a needle to "pop" the bubble.

I HAVE NOT DONE ANYTHING YET - I am asking for your opinions and ideas. Trust me, this isn't me asking a question "after the fact" after I messed with something. I am not going to touch it unless absolutely necessary.

From what I have seen, the water bubbles do NOT have the raised center. Water bubbles are usually totally consistent and just like a bit "distorted" if you look directly through them.

These LOOK like air pockets in the middle of the water bubble, if that's possible.

Sounds like they may have left some glue from the redo. Not going to go away. Keep trying hopefully they will fix it.

If they cant get it right you know where to bring it. Ill have to charge a bit but ill do it right.

Oh yeah dont pop it then youll have a hole in the tint.

Guest Blaine B.

Yes, this is really turning out to an ordeal. Probably would have saved time going to your shop, overall.

Each of the 4 cars me and my family brought in had to go back a second time. My dad's one vehicle had to have one window redone. Both of my cars had to have windows redone.

On my father's second vehicle, he went back because there were lint clusters in both of his windows.

They didn't do anything and never called him, while he sat in a McDonalds for 3 hours.

He went back and said they used a "tool" to pop them out. But, they didn't do anything. Then they said the bit of dirt on his floor was the likely cause for the lint.

Their attitude totally changed after we came back for corrections and re-dos....

Maybe most people don't notice or don't care, I suppose that's possible, so that when someone actually does notice a blemish, they are the bad guys.

I am not being super picky, either. Obvious scratches, lint, and bubbles are unacceptable....at least I would think so?

So for a total of 4 cars we have been at their shop a total of 9 times. This is simply ridiculous.

If they cant get it right you know where to bring it. Ill have to charge a bit but ill do it right.

You sure you want to end up on blaines bad side? he sounds like a guy that needs to just have a foundry custom fire some windows for him for a couple thousand dollars.

Guest Blaine B.

So you think I am being too picky and should be satisfied with scratches, bubbles, and lint after dishing out $150 and having to sit around and wait for all of these corrections?

Guest Blaine B.

Why can't it be done right without such an obvious blemish?

Believe me, I don't want to go back probably as much as they don't want me coming back......so, who is at fault, me or the shop?

I mean, I really only wanted them to redo the one window with the giant scratch. But, instead, they initially didn't do that window but redid another window with a smaller scratch. I had mentioned it but never told them to re-do it. They chose to redo it so it met their standards. But now I have bubbles in this window. To be honest I would have rather had the scratch.

Unbelievable.

Guest Blaine B.

You may be right.

But I'm betting most customers don't complain.

But actually, the first day I went there, there was an older man with a new Mustang who looked slightly upset and was coming back for them to re-do a window on his car.

I initially figured, since nothing is perfect, there will be a blemish here or there occasionally.....but I wasn't expecting it to be at this level!

I honestly hate anyone doing any work on my car. I do all maintenance and repairs and everything else. But I have no experience tinting so it is one of the things I take my car to a shop for (besides tire mounting and balancing). I take good care of my cars and want a good job on any work performed by an outside shop. I don't even set my levels as high as my own for outside work performed. I just expect a good job without an OBVIOUS blemish, that's all.

When it's obvious, it's clearly noticeable, and as a result I'll always see it. Which is why I said I would have been happier with the scratch than the bubble, because it wasn't as obvious. But they chose to re-do it and as a result I think it is worse now than before :(

Archived