Does anyone offer training?

I picked up a few bits of knowledge over the years, but learned the most by far when I

hired a GOOD 12v installer. I learned by watching and helping. He taught me more so

he could actually take a day off once in a while.

But I got good when he eventually flaked on me (and they almost always do), forcing me to

do it all or lose business.

If you're a small business, you have to be able to do it ALL. And good.

Getting MECP certified doesn't mean squat. All that it means is that you studied the study guide in order to pass the test. Being MECP certified only means that you understand the concepts on paper. Most of the people who are MECP certified wouldn't have a clue on taking apart a dash. I would want to see a list of previous installation jobs they held prior to letting them in the dash of my car.

If you are looking for the most highly recommended installation school in the US, it is Installer Institute. It is owned and operated by Metra Electronics and is in Florida.

PS. I make this statement about MECP because I have been in the car audio business for 22 years.

Getting MECP certified doesn't mean squat. All that it means is that you studied the study guide in order to pass the test. Being MECP certified only means that you understand the concepts on paper. Most of the people who are MECP certified wouldn't have a clue on taking apart a dash. I would want to see a list of previous installation jobs they held prior to letting them in the dash of my car.

If you are looking for the most highly recommended installation school in the US, it is Installer Institute. It is owned and operated by Metra Electronics and is in Florida.

PS. I make this statement about MECP because I have been in the car audio business for 22 years.

I have schooled many a "certified" installer.

Archived