Ooooh this comm job is a pain..... Pics...

So here's the run down.

Tiny ledge that I have to crouch on. Ladder would be in the peoples way as they're walking around.... So I'm crouching on this tiny ledge getting ready to prep the windows when I notice....

The windows already have film on them. Very, very old film....

So today I scraped the film of of 3 of the 16 windows... Going to bring my steamer tomorrow...

Any other suggestions for removing the film?

Also, in the last pic you can see where I've already installed some of the frost film...

20131003_170931_resized.jpg

20131003_170913_resized.jpg

20131003_171429_resized.jpg

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest filbertr6

Unless the old film is breaking down, I would consider going right over the old stuff... Also, you should do your job as safely as possible, dangerously crawling on a small ledge for peoples convenience is non sense. Put up the ladder, and they can find another route! Safety is #1, customers convenience comes second! I'm sure if you politely explain your situation to a few people around that office, they will help with a solution! One day someone will have to repaint those walls, and they wont hesitate to get in the way in order to get the job done, its no different for tinting windows!

Unless the old film is breaking down, I would consider going right over the old stuff... Also, you should do your job as safely as possible, dangerously crawling on a small ledge for peoples convenience is non sense. Put up the ladder, and they can find another route! Safety is #1, customers convenience comes second! I'm sure if you politely explain your situation to a few people around that office, they will help with a solution! One day someone will have to repaint those walls, and they wont hesitate to get in the way in order to get the job done, its no different for tinting windows!

I agree.

Another reason is that with the ledge, I can't reach the window well enough standing on the ladder to get the job done... Also, I've already removed the film from 3 of the windows... I think it would look funny if I didn't strip the rest of them...

Film adhesive is designed to stick to glass not film. I have installed film on film like many others probably have. i however would not do that in this case for 2 reasons.

1. you do not know the quality or age of the film installed and how long it will last potentially giving your business a bad name.

2. I would not like to climb back up and remove both layers and reinstall a year later for free.

Do it right the first time. My town is small. If i do 1 crap job i am finished.

One other thing do it safe and live to tint another day.

:yeah Safety takes a back seat to no one!!!

If we got that one we probably would have straddled the cabinets with a rolling yellow scaffold setup. We would have also insisted all the personal and work stuff on top and around the area be moved. If that means after hours so be it. Part of the customers responsibility is to provide a safe place to work for their employees AND YOU.

I am guessing the issue is that they are having a glare issue.

I would have noticed the film on the glass, get yourself a pair of polarized sun glasses as they will help you see if there is film on glass next time or look for clear on the sides and iridescence's look to the film next time.

If the film is in good shape, I would have suggested an exterior install of a translucent white vinyl and not remove the existing film on the inside, looks like in the pics it would have been an easy exterior install .

If they wanted the film that is on the windows now R&R, then a film like Lu lu RM S PS2 would have been a good choice on the inside.

I am guessing the issue is that they are having a glare issue.

I would have noticed the film on the glass, get yourself a pair of polarized sun glasses as they will help you see if there is film on glass next time or look for clear on the sides and iridescence's look to the film next time.

If the film is in good shape, I would have suggested an exterior install of a translucent white vinyl and not remove the existing film on the inside, looks like in the pics it would have been an easy exterior install .

If they wanted the film that is on the windows now R&R, then a film like Lu lu RM S PS2 would have been a good choice on the inside.

They wanted to hide all the stains / leaks in between the two panes.... Here's some more pics...

20131004_165333_zpse06b7d76.jpg

20131004_165009_zpsb12a6576.jpg

20131004_165002_zps8171f4cc.jpg

20131004_164955_zps93e7e768.jpg

Archived