Vinyl Decals... Anyone do them?

I've been trying to get some company decals for one of my vehicles and every shop is booked up at least 3 weeks. if anyone here does decals could you PM me I have some questions, considering doing decals if there's THAT much market out there

3 week production schedule is common. Most of the time is the going back and forth with ideas and changes before a design is finalized and signed off on before the actual production can begin.

If you already have the .ai or .eps vector files a local sign shop could probably help you get your graphics done.

So you dont think I should look into getting a vinyl plotter and doing decals myself? one.of my recent comm jobs im installing this week asked for a quote to do their company decal on their storefront. they said they cant find a shop to do it soon enough for their coming grand opening

a vinyl cutter is not a bad investment but most places sell it cheaper than I want to get paid for doing it.  When you get involved with trying to find the right font or esp when you try to "match" a font you can spend hours to make a 10 to 50 dollar decal. 

Also, it is the people that don't want to wait that I don't care to do much business with either...

I have a very cheap cutter and have it more for my own stuff...

i agree with ryker on some points.  it can be a very time consuming business.  i actually bought a 28" cutter about a year ago and it paid for itself very quickly.  i usually tell people to figure out the fonts and stuff and ill put it together for them.  i love having my own plotter, especially now that its paid for.  i usually just do my vinyl work at night while im watching tv unless someone needs something done yesterday

They're cool machines. I love mine and the cool stuff I can do now without having to wait for someone else to produce.

I got a Roland GX 640. I don't know what others are like?

Don't use it much but it's great to have for those special jobs.

Frosting patterns, auto side stripes and custom decals. Brand new buildings that require safety signage all over the place.

Possibilities can be huge when you have one.

Yes, weeding can take a long time.

Its given me some work and some really good stuff too.

I would say get one!

If you don't like it think they're easy to sell on.

Archived