goofy question about thermal stress breaks

Hi SolarPerfection:

The only goofy question is the one that goes unasked.  Rest assured, there are others wondering about the same thing.

Thermal breaks are more likely:

• In the winter
  • In the early morning hours (just after sunrise)
  • On east facing windows
  • With higher TSEa films

-Howard

We get a handful of them a year. Just got one last week on a 45x48 cig unit. Film is Silver20 and installed about 3 years ago. Fall and early spring tend to be the worst. Cold nights and then rapid warming when the sun comes up. Others will disagree but the films with higher tsea tend to be more of a issue

It's always good to know (and to follow) manufacturer guidelines.  In the unwelcome event of a breakage or seal failure, if you followed the guidelines you should be covered by the manufacturer warranty.

Sometimes a retail customer might pressure you into exceeding glass/film compatibility guidelines.  In those cases, make it clear to the customer that there is no glass breakage or seal failure warranty in force for the job.

Suggested language in your work order or invoice:

Installer is only liable for any glass breakage that occurs at the time of application.  Any glass breakage or seal failure that occurs subsequent to application is not covered under this warranty.

-Howard

What do you do when the window breaks Tom? I mean, are we talking on windows that you installed film on? Do you cover the cost of the new window?

If you do FG enough ,and long enough. You are going to break some glass. We provide a warranty that is approved by the mfr. nothing more. There have been jobs that I have walked from because I knew there would be issues no matter what film was put on. Your distributor should be able to advise what is acceptable and covered by a GBW. And for how long. It's not rocket science

@ Howard

That language  " Installer is only liable for any glass breakage that occurs at the time of application"  works well for a typical install but in some cases clear communication in writing that you are not liable for poorly installed glass breaking is good too.

Other times it is better to politely walk away:

I've seen a storefront that was single pane around 1/8" annealed 100" w x 72" glass in aluminum channels  "held in " by bathtub caulk that looked installed by Michael J Fox off his meds. It was also off the rubber stops and rattling when touched. They asked for security film." So it would be safe"

We laughed (to ourselves) and told them for their own safety to call a reputable glass shop not their " Uncle Bob" who knows a guy and get the proper glass for the application properly installed then we would come back and talk film.

X2 what Howard says.

If you are in the business long enough you will get some breakage - and not always where you might expect it.  Remember one home with fairly small double hung windows where we installed a 50% Neutral film and had about 5 out of 28 windows break.  Glass must've been especially cheap stuff or poorly installed.  And a store with huge plate glass (not tempered) splicer windows - there was is even shading from an overhang - that a GC insisted we install blackout to, even though I recommended against it and told him there would be no warranty if any broke.  Not one did.

In a typical year I get just a few reported breaks. Even taking into account that not all breaks get reported that's not much.  But I will always warn people if they have windows that would be expensive to replace.

If your manufacturer says "not recommended" they probably have seen a case or two too many and will not cover thermal shock in those situations.

In most cases, manufacturers will have established guidelines for glass/film compatibility based upon TSEa thresholds.  Following the rules is the best way to avoid (but not eliminate problems).  Case in point:  Suntint's post above whereby he had 5 of 28 crack after the application of a Neutral 50% film.

-Howard

Archived