Workmans Comp Category

it's 2013 almost 2014 and want to get the latest Workmans Comp insurance information.

We are a California PPF and Window Tint Company. We continue to get re-classified.

They want to classify all my employees under one class, even though my inside sales person gets

looped into Installers classification.

What insurance company are you using and what classification are you under?

I’m looking for an insurance company that understands what we all do and can make it easy to have insurance

without signing up for one class, and getting billed under another, and looping everyone as Installers.

I am in Oregon and every state have their own rules.  My installers are classified the same as glass installers.  It is annoying as we do not take near the risks as glass installers do whether its on cars or buildings.  My office personnel is not grouped with them so that is nice.  I use Farmers Ins.  They have taken good care of us here in Oregon and have provided us with good rates. Good luck.

Hello Mr. Aviator,

This is Howard at Express Films. 

We have been with The Hartford for our WC since the early 1980s.  We opened our California warehouse in 1995.  Our Workman's Comp rates in CA are 2.5x higher than CT.  You definitely want to get those classifications right.  I would be happy to give you the contact info for our broker, Tom.  We don't do any installations, but we have two different categories (Clerical & Warehouseman). 

I am guessing you also I pilot?  What/where do you fly?

Regards,

Howard

Express Films

Thanks everyone.

We got hit also with a higher price with re-classification. I wouldn't have a problem if this is what we agreed to when signing, but it's not. There's about 20 pages of classifications, and there isn't a class for our business, so nothing is said until the bill comes and hold to your socks, it's not what was agreed! If we did this we would be held up by our thumbs.

We made about 3 hours of phone calls, and got some hopeful information. Will know more the first of next week. Thanks Howard, if needed I may contact you. Yes, I'm a pilot, private. Fixed, High Performance, Helicopter time.

At the moment we are trying both, getting information. We want to pay what we were quoted and signed, not re-classified  after the fact, and billed at a higher rate, like "TomTint"

No available class for PPF or Window Tint. We signup and agree to something close, "Sign Company", then when we're billed, as "Service Stations". Nothing we do is like a service station. We add material to a structure or vehicle, like a "sign company". simple

California,   Dues and Taxes!

We are under glazers, also with Hartford, they were nice enough to send me a bill earlier this week for 4500.00 on top of what we already paid.

Tom,

Consider that as your reward for exponentially growing that business.

-Howard

Workman's Comp is unique inasmuch as the actual rates are state mandated.  All polices are subject to audit and review, which is what accounts for the adjustments.  If you get reclassified into a higher risk category, the burden will be upon you to justify any changes.  If your earnings, billings, or payroll increased - that may also increase your premium.

There is an alternative for those who want to avoid the end-of-year audits/adjustments.  Many of the major payroll processing companies (like ADP) now offer weekly Workman's Comp premium payments indexed to your weekly payroll.   You pay exactly what is due each week via electronic debit.  No EOY surprises.

The other thing to watch out for is the portion of the premium attributable to the business owner.  As the owner, all of your earnings need not be subject to the premium.  Check with your accountant and/or tax adviser.

-Howard

Yes, I'm a pilot, private. Fixed, High Performance, Helicopter time.

Nice to meet you then !!

I am as well.  Commercial, Instrument, ASEL & ASES..  If you are ever out at KOSH or Sun-N-Fun, we can meetup for a beer!

Regards,

Howard

Archived