EcoLux 70% from SolarGard

Hey there,

I am hearing on the grape vine that the new EcoLux 70% performs as well as the Enerlogic 70%.

Are there any SG boffins here that can shed some light on the performance specs of the film? It is yet to be WERS rated here in Aus, but from what I can see it looks to be SG's answer to LuLu's holy grail?

Cheers.

Guest thatsnappyguy

Its a fast fix to keep up with the Joneses on paper but it has limitations, as does the Enerlogic.  I hear good things and bad things about both.  Im not sure it would be worth your time bc I dont know the climate down under, but where I am, its no good since we dont really have long enough winters to see a ROI, mainly bc of the price.  

Its a fast fix to keep up with the Joneses on paper but it has limitations, as does the Enerlogic.  I hear good things and bad things about both.  Im not sure it would be worth your time bc I dont know the climate down under, but where I am, its no good since we dont really have long enough winters to see a ROI, mainly bc of the price.

Yeah, only a few regions down here will truly benefit from such a beast (Canberra, Melbourne, Tasmania) and coupled with price, it won't be a typical retail product. What we do have down here is a slowly growing push for energy efficiency though which is starting to push some sales of LowE films. An annoying aspect of that is that even though there are established heating and cooling zones, energy assessors continue to place too much importance on U value. In hot  climates, the U value is really of low level importance but the "experts" see the energy efficiency "benefits" of retaining heat.

As a result, specifiers try to get that low U value in places where you really only want to keep heat OUT. Even if you experience some cold nights, the % spent on heating compared to cooling are small. Often this means a compromise on heat rejection and the film that assessors like on paper is no where near as efficient as they could have.

Even in Brisbane we get calls for LowE films to try to achieve a good U value and end up putting film on to look good on paper rather than do the best job. It also means you are competing with Enerlogic in climates where it is near pointless.

I don't know how it works over there, but down here you have to be "trained" and certified to use Enerlogic (otherwise hard to get and no warranty).

Yeah, only a few regions down here will truly benefit from such a beast (Canberra, Melbourne, Tasmania) and coupled with price, it won't be a typical retail product. What we do have down here is a slowly growing push for energy efficiency though which is starting to push some sales of LowE films. An annoying aspect of that is that even though there are established heating and cooling zones, energy assessors continue to place too much importance on U value. In hot  climates, the U value is really of low level importance but the "experts" see the energy efficiency "benefits" of retaining heat.

As a result, specifiers try to get that low U value in places where you really only want to keep heat OUT. Even if you experience some cold nights, the % spent on heating compared to cooling are small. Often this means a compromise on heat rejection and the film that assessors like on paper is no where near as efficient as they could have.

Even in Brisbane we get calls for LowE films to try to achieve a good U value and end up putting film on to look good on paper rather than do the best job. It also means you are competing with Enerlogic in climates where it is near pointless.

I don't know how it works over there, but down here you have to be "trained" and certified to use Enerlogic (otherwise hard to get and no warranty).

You almost sound like you know what you are talking about AT. :thumb

I agree thoroughly though, in the QLD sub tropical climate, there is very little need for a LowE product like Enerlogic, as good as it may be.

I have only come across LowE glass twice now up here, and most Glaziers here are only vaguely aware of it, but never use it.

I raised an eyebrow though at a recent trade event where an experienced tinter from the Far North Queensland was selling heaps of LowE as "It insulates the glass and helps prevent the  cool air conditioned air from escaping ????"

Not sure if it works that way exactly. Well not as well as he thinks it does, anyway. :lol

I agree thoroughly though, in the QLD sub tropical climate, there is very little need for a LowE product like Enerlogic, as good as it may be.

I have only come across LowE glass twice now up here, and most Glaziers here are only vaguely aware of it, but never use it.

I raised an eyebrow though at a recent trade event where an experienced tinter from the Far North Queensland was selling heaps of LowE as "It insulates the glass and helps prevent the  cool air conditioned air from escaping ????"

Not sure if it works that way exactly. Well not as well as he thinks it does, anyway. :lol

Cheers.

Low E won't directly keep "cool in" . It reflects radiant heat (infra red).

Cool air doesn't "escape" as such, but is replaced with heat coming in. So in terms of protecting the cool air inside, a simple silver20 will do the job best.

Cheers.

Low E won't directly keep "cool in" . It reflects radiant heat (infra red).

Cool air doesn't "escape" as such, but is replaced with heat coming in. So in terms of protecting the cool air inside, a simple silver20 will do the job best.

Ed Zachary :D  :yeah

Hey AT,

I hear ya about assessors, that's why I am going to become a NABERS certified assessor myself. Not many assessors actually recommend film as an option. I must say, at the price that the ener comes in at here, a good old double glazed window unit would be not that much more, and it is permanent. Cuts plenty of noise also.

I am in a great position to win plenty of jobs that require the builder to meet a Uvalue that only the ener can get to. But I have been told "We are only selling this film to those that have looked after us in the past".. This is coming from my supplier of 8 years that tried to put me out with the garbage at the first opportunity.. So I guess I am keen to know if SG have a genuine contender in the form of EcoLux, and if so, will they be restricting who they sell it to.

It would be so great if this could be a product that independents can get behind, and compete with the franchises that are free to use the enerlogic at will.

I have my fingers crossed.