New tint looks streaky and spotted?

Guest ucsdgemini

Guest ucsdgemini

Hey guys, I figured this was the place to go. I just got my new Accord coupe tinted here in Minnesota (from California, don't ask), and it has been 3 days. I have noticed the "bubbly" dots all over the windows and have read that that should cure. The one thing that really bothers me is that areas of my rear window look completely streaky like a bad Windex commercial where the "generic" brand leaves streaky marks on the window. This seems to be only on the rear where all the wires are. Is this normal? Will this dissapear as well? The weather has been somewhat cold here, but 40's over the past 2 days. I never had such issues with a car I had tinted in California with nice warm weather. Can someone please explain this whole curing process? Thanks for any information. By the way, this was done at a place called Ziebart for about $200 and they say the tint is guaranteed for 10 years with proper care.

Now U see what means 10 years warranty. What will be with lifetime  :shock  :spit  :spit ????

Pal,

If you think that because you have a piece of paper saying 10 years and you are home and hosed, then you are being duped big time. When will this industry ever clean up its act?.

When we get back to a 3 year term or similar short period. Agreed Leo!

Devil

Guest fimmo

10 year warranty???? take it they hope you dont have the car in 10 yeras??? anyway,the streaks on your glass are perfectly normal! usually they take a few 'warm' days to cure but they will dissapear in the end!! as for the bubbles ,if they are water bubbles then again they will dissapear withing a few days! especially if its warm but if they are dirt/dust bubbles? they wont but from the description youve gave us,it's water bubbles! a couple of good warm days and everything should be normal!!! especially if its sunny! direct sunlight onto tint in the first few days helps cure the adhesive! hope this helps?? :spit

I am fighter against longtime warranties and I am for NORMAL (non-idiotic) TINT LAWS :spit . Everywhere must by idea. There are NO IDEA in longtime warranty, there are NO IDEA to make reflective tint illegal, there are NO idea to make 35% tint outlaws, etc... Of course somebody have argumets FOR - I no.... :spit:shock:spit

condensation bubbles in your film initally is normal. how fast they dissappear depends on the TYPE FILM YOU GOT and the WEATHER and HOW HARD your installer squeeged the film on installation. on my llumar warranty card it says it can take fiom UP TO 6 weeks to cure, thats the worst case scenario....metal film, cold cloudy weather, tinter didnt squeege the film very good, all those 3 factors can make water bubbles stay around longer than you would like.

parking the vehicle out in the direct sunlight is your best option on getting your film to cure.

there is really NO time limit for the film to cure, most of the time 1 to 3 days is enough under the RIGHT conditions.

as for the streaks....you shouldnt have streaks...just get a wet towell and wipe the inside of the tint and see if it comes off sounds like the tinter was lazy and simply didnt clean the inside of the windows. :spit

as for the curing process..it is very simple, you need sunlight and some warmpth from the sun to evaporate the water (bubbles) thats inbetween the tint and glass. those bubbles should reduce in size gradually as the water is evaporating untill they are totally gone.

Edited by Mdog

as for the streaks....you shouldnt have streaks...just get a wet towell and wipe the inside of the tint and see if it comes off sounds like the tinter was lazy and simply didnt clean the inside of the windows. :spit

Mdogs right on his whole post..just a thought though, if your going to wipe the film to see if streaks go away, wipe VERY lightly with soft cloth or paper towel , you might want to wait until "bubbles" are dried, that way you won't run the risk of creating an an air pocket , (which won't dry out) :spit

Every car I tint has streaks when it leaves the shop. :idea Except for maybe the 2 or 3 months when it's warm. Depending on the film, they can last for a couple days. Chill out dude, your not in Cali any more. Takes more time up in the great white north. :idea