Cold weather - frost under film

I know I posted a story like this a few years back, but it deserves a repost with the very cold weather the US is seeing now.

Besides making sure your customers have a back up vehicle, frost between the film and glass does not affect the quality of the job at all. It may make the car undrivable for a few days, because it cannot be scraped of the glass like outer frost, but it will melt eventually, no harm to the film.

This happened to me, on one of my own cars. It completing froze all windows entirely, but melted and turned out beautiful.

I warned a customer today about potential freezing, since the outside temp was 2 degrees Fahrenheit here this morning. Thankfully, they rescheduled, since I don't like working in a cold shop. We only heat the shop to about 50 degrees, since it's so damn expensive, and it feels more like 35 degrees when it's this cold and your hands are constantly wet. I'll be happy to do the job in a couple days when the outside temp is forecasted above 20f.

I have a pretty good sized shop...2 bays plus a decent sized waiting room. I haven't spent more than $700 for a years worth of heat yet...I heat with oil.

If you feel heating your garage is " too damn expensive" then maybe you should be charging more. :twocents

My shop showroom and all is 4k square feet. I pay about. $400 a month on our gas bill in the winter. . (Natural gas). And it's worth every penny. Like I mentioned in another post " never drops bellow 70degrees."

I just put a few candles on and dim the lights to give the feeling that the garage is a warm environment. ;)

Sounds more like a "rub n' tug" than a tint shop your running :poke:rollin

Archived