Programmer interested in making line boards for Mobile devices.

Guest surakusa

Guest surakusa

Greetings PDR professionals, enthusiasts, etc... I am a programmer looking to see if there is any interest from a PDR professionals perspective in an application that will turn your mobile device into a line board. I figured this could lighten your load in regards to carrying a large line board, and a mobile device (i.e., iPad). These devices should have proficient lighting for whatever job you need to perform. Here are some of the ideas I have, assuming this is a good idea. :)

• Create several line boards with varying widths of lines. You will be in control of how thick or thin you want each line(s). 
  • I can also create a fog board as an option.
  • varying levels of brightness or colors to help with different colors of cars.

These are just some of the ideas I have in hopes to make it easier for a PDR professional... Thoughts? Good idea? Bad idea?

Moderators, Could someone delete this post, it doesn't seem anyone is interested, or possibly the wrong place to post this. :)

Thanks!

Welcome to TintDude :beer

Rics right the board is slow over the Holliday.

I dont know anything about PDR other than I wish I was good at it so don't know what the post is about but there will some peeps on here soon that know what your saying!

Cheers

Stan

Guest surakusa

Sure thing, I realize this is a tinting forum, it's hard to find PDR forums out there, so there might not be that many on here... There is another forum that wouldn't let me in due to some computer weirdness.

Here's an example of a line board that PDR techs use to see dents.

lineboard.png

So when you look at the line board through the reflection in the paint, you see dents appear like this:

eGU5NTF0MTI%3D_o_how-to-remove-dents-usi

What if, someone like me came along and made an app that PDR techs can use on their mobile devices (i.e., iPad, or Android Tablets, or Surface Tablets) that was highly configurable in terms of creating those lines to be large, or small, varying colors, maybe dynamically creating different patterns that a PDR tech may find useful. Just an idea, I already created a Proof of Concept. I'm just trying to gauge interest if it is really a convenient app to use, or a stupid idea. :) I personally am an Amateur PDR guy, I figured this would really be nice to have, since you only have to place your mobile device once on the car, you don't have to swap out different line boards, or anything like that.

Guest Eye Candy

Could a person not just use a striped piece of paper and a clip board? Will the light from the tablet help finding dents? How much does a regular line board cost compared to a tablet? How will you suspend the tablet in front of the dent? Will it be likely that the tablet will hit the ground while working the dent? I love technology as much as the next, but some things it just makes worse. The only way to know for sure is to do it.  It's all about marketing, things that are completely useless sell everyday because they are marketed like crazy. I have a few friends that do PDR and IMO they would buy it simply because most of the tools they use are coat hangers basically, an app would make them feel less like a monkey getting an ant out of the ground..

GO FOR IT AND GOOD LUCK!!

Guest surakusa

Yeah, a piece of paper on a board is definitely a cheap way to do it, however what I was hoping to make easier for people is the idea that you can adjust the bars to different heights with a simple pinch of the fingers, or if you need exact values, you can input the values to get the sizes you want. Line board prices vary just as much as their designs vary. So I was curious (I'm just a noob when it comes to this) if they carry different lamp sizes and patterns with them, to me, my app may just reduce their load by a lot... I'm still not sure though, I just wanted to hear honest opinions if it would work well in their situations. I just tested this on my iPad this past weekend and it worked great! Except in direct sunlight, which I don't think PDR guys work in direct sunlight anyway, I couldn't even see my regular boards that way. :) I haven't really thought of a solution for the suction-cup device that holds a tablet yet, but then again I haven't done any research on it much either, I do know universal suction-cup tablet holders (w/e you call them) already exist. Haha I do agree with that comment about marketing! It would make them look a little more techy and less like a monkey getting ant out of the ground. (Awesome analogy) I feel like that all of the time haha. :)

Guest Eye Candy

I can't really see a reason it wouldn't sell. The big plus if your just making an app is you only have to do it once the rest will just be updates to stay on top (once it starts selling others will copy). I would do it. Once you got it where you want it run around to pdr guys and body shops and push it.

Guest surakusa

Awesome, thanks! I am currently working on it. Do you guys use any other patterns or colors than just straight lines that go across? Would there be any requests as to what you would like to have?

Archived