That wasn't there when I brought it in.

I have saved THOUSANDS of $$$ doing a 30sec per vehicle walk around before picking up any car from a dealership or before the customer leaves my property . You wouldn't believe the damage I've pointed out to customers before they leave and had NO idea before I eye fuuked the car. It's seriously the best invested time ever in this industry .

The highest ratio of "surprise damage " will always be the customer that bought a "new" car. "New" to him but its from a used car dealer and its a couple of years old.

I have saved THOUSANDS of $$$ doing a 30sec per vehicle walk around before picking up any car from a dealership or before the customer leaves my property . You wouldn't believe the damage I've pointed out to customers before they leave and had NO idea before I eye fuuked the car. It's seriously the best invested time ever in this industry .

The highest ratio of "surprise damage " will always be the customer that bought a "new" car. "New" to him but its from a used car dealer and its a couple of years old.

We have cameras, and I pre inspect the whole car. I use to run the Uhaul section at a shop I ran in TN, that taught me all about the importance of a pre and post inspection. Well worth the time and money it will save you in the end. :thumbs

Put a camera in your shop. When the costumer wants to blame for damage...roll tape.

If you wanna be a d!ck about it, charge them to watch it.

I agree. We have six cameras recording 24/7 in our shop. Out front in the driveway, the reception, the entry, and multiple angles of the Tint bays. It's saved us a number of times in the last few years.

One customer insisted that a tactical flashlight had gone missing from his car while it was in our shop and he wanted us to pay for it or he'd go to the police. I told him I would be happy to download and compile every second of every angle of the 3hrs that his vehicle was with us so he could satisfy himself that it didn't happen here.

He said the mere fact that we would offer to do that told him right away that he was mistaken. He's been a loyal repeat customer ever since.

...and no, I don't know if he ever found the flashlight.

Similar experiences have come up relating to vehicle damage, and I've always found honesty to be the best policy. The most recent one was a little Audi hatchback. I told the customer that I truly didn't believe that the scratches to the front bumper happened in our workshop, but that we could review the security footage together and if indeed it did happen here, I'd be happy to pay for any repairs.

If you never do anything that you wouldn't want the whole world to see, cameras can be your best friend.

[emoji106]

I agree with UltraTint. Cameras can save you a lot of grief. I had a custy last year that insisted that we put a 1 cm scratch in the middle of her roof. I explained to her that I tinted her car personally whilst my employees were having lunch and at no time do we need to go anywhere near the roof. Roll camera and we see her in the carpark put her heavy handbag on the roof searching for her keys. Didn't even get a 'sorry' out of her.

We also walk around every car, old or new,and note all damage and take pics of all damage noted, the sides and front and back and any interior damage and pics of the fuel and odometer readings.

Well worth the extra couple of minutes.

I have also found that by telling your customer when they pick up their car that you have noticed the damage and taken time stamped pics before you moved their car, has drastically reduced the complaints.

Just the world we live in now I suppose.

I guess you just get a feeling about some people and act accordingly. IE: A customer raises concern about their car being driven around while you have it; you suggest that they take note of the odometer on arrival to give them some peace of mind.

I'm careful not to seem too over the top with vehicle inspections or noting km's. If you aren't careful that can portray an attitude of distrust with your customers, which ultimately erodes the overall customer experience.

Cameras are a safety net that's unobtrusive and reliable. I also go a step further and record video and audio in the reception and showroom to cover any potential disputes about the film they choose, or any special conditions given verbally like risks to demisters during difficult removals, refitting of child car seats, or verbal warnings that the film they have selected doesn't comply with transport regulations..

It's all about proof. If you can back up everything you say with verifiable evidence, you'll never have a problem.

the problem with pre inspections is if you do miss something and then they see it later then you did it no matter what in their eyes. I recently got blamed for vertical scratches in the 1 window i retinted for the customer, scratches on the outside of the window  and well voer 100 of them side by side from dirt in the outside rubber as the window has gone up and down over its 15 years it has been on the road for. he got angry at me and i lsot it at him and said 2 options, i rip the tint off now and you leave immediately  or you pay now and leave with a perfectly tinted window, i also offered to get an autoglass company in to inspect these scratches for him which he declined

the problem with pre inspections is if you do miss something and then they see it later then you did it no matter what in their eyes. I recently got blamed for vertical scratches in the 1 window i retinted for the customer, scratches on the outside of the window  and well voer 100 of them side by side from dirt in the outside rubber as the window has gone up and down over its 15 years it has been on the road for. he got angry at me and i lsot it at him and said 2 options, i rip the tint off now and you leave immediately  or you pay now and leave with a perfectly tinted window, i also offered to get an autoglass company in to inspect these scratches for him which he declined

Yeah, I know Mates. I am really in 2 minds as to whether these people really have never noticed the damage or are they hoping to get the better of you and have you pay to fix up their car. I always like to think the best of people but I wasn't born yesterday either.

A customer raises concern about their car being driven around while you have it; you suggest that they take note of the odometer on arrival to give them some peace of mind.

One look at the Ferrari and no one dares ever mention anything like that...anything else is a shitter and why would I want to drive theirs to get my rocks off?

But years ago I can recall a guy setting his trip meter to 0.....the car....a new for the time Ford XD 1980 Cartier.

About the only thing of distinction was the name used by Ford under licence. :facepalm2

Devil