That wasn't there when I brought it in.

If I hear that one more time from a customer I, my head is going to explode.  Why is it the guy with a 12 year old car the first to cry "That Wasn't there when I brought it in".  Why is it he only notices an obscure scratch or blemish in his glass or paint after its been in our shop?  Does anyone do a pre inspection form or do a visual inspection with the customer before pulling the car in their shop?  I don't currently but I am in the process to start doing it.  So tired of customers eye banging their entire car when they come to pick up their car.  People just can't be trusted anymore and I am tired of being blamed for stuff we did not do.  It's getting so bad that we had a girl blame us for her horn not working 2 days after tinting it…a 2003 Mazda 6…WTF is wrong with people??

i had a guy last week that brought in a 98 Chevrolet Silverado for tint came back the next day and said you caused that scratch on my roof and your gonna pay for it so I said ok fair is fair how much do you want he said 600 I said ok mind if we look over it first I then got out my pocket microscope from radio shack best 12bucks ever spent and walked over to his truck got in the back looked at the scratch and saw brown and green in it on the top rear roof had him look at it and said that was caused by some one backing into a tree branch if you can find even one tree in my parking lot ill be glad to cover it,but first let me tell you what happen you lent your truck to someone to move a piece of furniture he has a tree in his yard he backed up to get closer to the door cause it was heavy and hit the tree accidently now your six hundred dollar quotes a lil high how about ill pdr it using no body filler or primer and spot paint it for 375 I can have it done by tomorrow ,do you need a ride home..

he was speechless got in his car and drove away.. some people are just crazy..

Howdy!
Brought my 2012 car with 35k on it to be tinted. No pre-inspection. After tint completed two deep parallel scratches in passanger front door window. One at base of window when rolled all the way up, and another two inches up (when rolled down two inches, would be at bottom of window). The tinter brought it to my attention after the tinting was completed (I didn't even see it), saying "I didn't do that! Those appear from dirt being in the window!" I contacted the tinter who says they use double edged stainless steel blades that could *never* scratch glass, so it couldn't be them. They directed me to their attourney, saying I could view surveillance videos through them, and discuss the matter further... The odd thing about this is there was no accusation! I was merely bringing up a couple of post-tint concerns that were only related to tinting and no other parts of the body of the car. They immediately when on the defensive.

What is your advice as to what to do now? I paid money that included a "lifetime warranty" and as soon as I asked what the name of their attourney was, they stopped responding to my texts. I will post a picture of the scratches as soon as I am able to upload them. Thank you! I really appreciate your help and expertise regarding this matter.

(Update: Added one picture. Will add the second scratch when the sun allows a good angle. That is morning frost below on the moulding.)

vUDY7Tm.jpg

Edited by Rcracer

Howdy!

Brought my 2012 car with 35k on it to be tinted. No pre-inspection. After tint completed two deep parallel scratches in passanger front door window. One at base of window when rolled all the way up, and another two inches up (when rolled down two inches, would be at bottom of window). The tinter brought it to my attention after the tinting was completed (I didn't even see it), saying "I didn't do that! Those appear from dirt being in the window!" I contacted the tinter who says they use double edged stainless steel blades that could *never* scratch glass, so it couldn't be them. They directed me to their attourney, saying I could view surveillance videos through them, and discuss the matter further... The odd thing about this is there was no accusation! I was merely bringing up a couple of post-tint concerns that were only related to tinting and no other parts of the body of the car. They immediately when on the defensive.

What is your advice as to what to do now? I paid money that included a "lifetime warranty" and as soon as I asked what the name of their attourney was, they stopped responding to my texts. I will post a picture of the scratches as soon as I am able to upload them. Thank you! I really appreciate your help and expertise regarding this matter.

Will be nice to see the pictures.

In defense of the shop they've probably been burned in the past so that's my guess as to why they are being defensive. It is very common to have scratches on your glass. Hard to see them untill you put some tint on the window. The darker the tint the more it stands out.

If you keep your car clean you minimize the chance of dirt scratching the glass when you roll your windows down.

Stainless steel blades can still scratch your glass. Dull blade, bad angle, pressing too hard can easily scratch it. But from your description I'm willing to bet they were already there.

Howdy!

Will be nice to see the pictures.

In defense of the shop they've probably been burned in the past so that's my guess as to why they are being defensive. It is very common to have scratches on your glass. Hard to see them untill you put some tint on the window. The darker the tint the more it stands out.

If you keep your car clean you minimize the chance of dirt scratching the glass when you roll your windows down.

Stainless steel blades can still scratch your glass. Dull blade, bad angle, pressing too hard can easily scratch it. But from your description I'm willing to bet they were already there.

Thank you for the reply!  :thumb

One picture added. We just bought the car with 35k on it. Pre-inspection :eye at dealer had no windows scratches. 

:popcorn

Edited by Rcracer

It looks familiar to me, I'm guessing the scratch is on the inner side between the glass and the tint, if yes then I have done that before, but I owned up to it, a piece of sand was on a squeegee and when my student made swipe from left to right he scratched the glass, I ended up paying 650 for it to be replaced

Dirt caused scratches from rolling your windows up and down would have vertical lines not horizontal. So it must have been something else.

:yeah

Scratches from left to right. Vertical scratches would be understood! These are horizontal and exactly parallel to where the window was when the tint was being pre-cut on the outside of the window. I will post the other scratch - two inches below at the the moulding edge - soon!

Thank you for your replies. Much appreciated!

Edited by Rcracer