Global QDP Ceramic Composition

Just read a nice post about the composition of a ceramic film.

Was wondering if Howard or one of the other Global distributors could post something similar about the makeup of the Global Ceramic film ??  

Thanks!

Hi TTS,

Thank you for allowing me the opportunity to explain.

The Similarities:

Both of these products incorporate the nano particles within the laminating adhesive.  Both ATO and TiN are readily available on the commercial market in liquid suspension.  Neither company can make any claims as to the uniqueness of this component.  It is neither proprietary or exclusive. 

The Difference (and it's a big one):

Is the base film.  The Global QDPC is based on the tried and true QDP dip dyed base film.  Deep dyed (liquid bath) represents the absolute gold standard in color stability.  Let's put Global aside for a moment.  Does Llumar (the king) use deep dyed base film for their top of the line products, or the method used in the Flex?  When considering the best performing and most color stable products sold in the USA, what method is used to dye the base film?  You guessed it.  Deep dip (bath) dye.

Let's just put Flex aside for a moment, because it would not be right or fair to single out Ralph or Flex:

Many people do not understand why the imported films just don't have the same level of color stability you would have in a film such as Llumar or Global.  Is it because the foreign manufacturers are trying to pinch pennies?  No.  Is it because they don't have talented technical departments?  No.  The reason is much more simple.  They can't get their hands on the deep dip dyed base film.  So they resort to every other technique possible to get the color into the film.  Coating, dyed chips and other methods.

As Ralph mentioned, the source company is a very large and prominent producer of PET films.  I have to admit, when I visited their facilities, I was extremely impressed with the size and scope of their laminating operation.  They probably have more coating lines operating in one place than any other company in the world.  I seem to remember losing count after the first twenty-five or so machines.  I have never seen anything like it either before or after and believe me, I have been to a factory or two.

But.....   Finished window film is but a very, very small part of that company.  And they are far from a "powerhouse" when it comes to world wide market share.  As much as I liked both the people and the facilities I saw when I was there, I did not think they had the kind of product that would hit home runs for EWF in the USA. 

I have no desire to disparage that product.  I can say a great deal of positive things about it.  The color dye technology used is far superior to the coating and dye chip technologies that are the hallmark of films from that area of the world.  But believe me, if that method were the best method - the USA majors would be using it - and they are certainly not.

-Howard

One other important thing:

When you purchase a roll of Llumar or Global Color Stable Window Film, it comes with a Warranty Certificate directly from the manufacturer guaranteeing the color stability of the product in writing.

Again, not to single out Ralph or Flex, but nowadays there are so many private labels out there whereby you don't even know who the manufacturer is, let alone have something in writing directly from them, with their company name on it, warranting the performance of the product.

-Howard