Broke a backglass.

Guest bobshoe

Guest bobshoe

Hey guys,

Today while I was shrinking (wet shrinking) the backglass of a 1998 e320 mercedes, the blackglass exploded. I have been tinting for about a year now, so I learn more and more everyday but look like today is was the hard way. I have a guy coming tomorrow to change that backglass but I still need to tint it. Any advices and tips for me so it doesn't happen again ? I would like to know why also...

wrong section guys sorry.

Don't stress about it, TD will shift it when he sees it, he's on the ball like that. :D

Rear screens are tempered glass and can take a lot of heat without any problems. If you didn't do something silly like holding the heat gun in the one spot for ages... Did you? C'mon 'fess up. We won't judge you ....much:lol then I reckon it was a case of wrong place at the wrong time, the glass probably had a defect like a nickel sulphide inclusion or chipped edge or faulty installation. Prove it though.

It's happened to me only once in 20 something years. Bad luck dude, that's gonna hurt.

Guest bobshoe

haha I guess it was all about friday 13. Honestly I didn't do anything different then all other window. I noticed that all windows had a weird texture... are they ceramic windows or something like that ?

If the glass broke into pellets and fell through, Google nickel-sulfide inclusion and read to your hearts content.

If it broke in large chunks and stayed in place, it would be laminated and extremely sensitive to heat variations across its surface.

Best to always dry shrink so as to not elevated glass temps as high as they go when wet shrinking.

This reminds me of a 1986 Audi 5000s that I had come in on a Saturday about 12 years ago. It came in for me to remove and replace the film on the back glass. The film was in such bad shape that I had to scrape it off damaging the defroster lines which the customer was cool with. I scraped most of the film and decided to take a break from it. I then cut and shrunk the film and went back to finish removing the rest of the film and as soon as I started scraping the bottom edge the window exploded in my face. I have no idea why it happened but it was a 2 week long expensive learning experience. 

Archived