Do you retail bulk film to installers?

This has possibly been brought up before, but I didn't see it. Do you sale film to installers? To clarify, do you sale film by the linear foot to window tinters that in turn use the film to install on their customers cars? I don't necessarily agree with it, for it seems like it's facilitating the low level installers that also drive down market prices. Am I wrong? Thougts?

Are they going to service older dirt box vehicles that you don't want to waste time on at your shop?  Are they going to be doing it at a good price when they do it?  Are they just going to buy film from other sources if not from you?  Not like it is hard to buy film.

If the answer to both of the above are yes then I say go for it.   It they are going to do tinting outside of your shop then you might as well make something too...

Selling directly to what would in effect be a competitor seems like slitting your own throat.

Its bad enough already in the industry training guys that leave and sling some papahs for a nickle,stealing away your future customers.

If your trusted employee wants to film his grandma's Homermobile in the shop that's a little different.

I don't sell it... I have been asked many times when on mobile jobs.   I try to up sell them to schedule it with me... often times I hook 'em.  And they thank me telling me, wow... If I was to do it I couldn't get the liner peeled. 

What bothers me about it is that these guys buying the film are on craigslist advertising tint jobs for 30-40% less than average local retail price. I'm not comfortable facilitating it because I dont want uninformed consumers buying from these guys trying to save money not realizing there is a certain amount of skill required for a professional install. There is a LOT of retired people in the area on fixed incomes that fall victim to these guys. If it were just the twenty year old beater cars that won't run next week i wouldn't care, and I would appreciate it really, but it's not. I do understand that "someone is going to sale them film why not me", but it's a principle thing i guess.

Sell it to them... Don't get me wrong... You make whatever retail markup you need to on it to be worth your while .. But don't be afraid to sell to them....

The way I look at it is that if they are good enough that they can negatively impact my business by taking my customers and installing my film.... I probably need to re-evaluate my business as a whole :thumb

Archived