Application Fluid Preferences

Guest BigTinting

Guest BigTinting

I am as new to tinting as they come, but my experience is in vinyl wrapping and flat-glass etchmark/frosted vinyl installation. We use a product called Rapid-Tac which we get in a 55 gallon drum, and after searching I didn't see a thread that answered my question but it may just be as simple as soapy water.

What product or solutions do you use to apply your films? Any specific ratio's?

Does anyone have an experience with Rapid-Tac in tinting or is it a no-no for any particular reason?

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Tint Slime for the win.

I used Rapid tac on vinyl  "cuz it was there" many years ago.

When you gain "targeting" experience and no longer need the extra slip time you will save tons of money in the long run.

Faster installs from low slip and fast lock down are great.

As with any new "toy" start with "as directed " then play til you find YOUR sweet spot.

Baby Shampoo is what my sales rep reccomends. I asked my distributor when they were going to start carrying tint slime and he said they weren't because it was not recommended by the manufacture. I know they're are a lot of positive reviews on tint slime but until your manufacture gives you the go ahead I would'nt suggest it. It also was not just my distributor he named a few. I was all set to order some yesterday, glad I didn't now.

TS isn't too far off from being JJBS, nor is it far from being FilmOn; all have similar chemistries to the extent one or the other could be a knock off of one or the other. Since the days of FilmOn introduction to the marketplace I've always known LLumar to compare FO to baby shampoo without the smell sauce, color and glycerin; or in other words, the base slip agent before becoming baby shampoo.

Both, BS & FO, have undergone chemistry revision for very similar reasons and since then FilmOn formula includes glycerin, same as baby shampoo and TS, with BS having the most. So I personally do not understand why any of these would be avoided when installing film. FilmOn is the only of the three that doesn't have a prettily smell to it; its rather benign in fact.

I was recently told, 'Though LLumar does not sell or endorse the use of TS because they have their own slip concentrate (FO), they would not decline a warranty claim if TS were used during installation of their film product". They've not declined a warranty when BS has been used either. The real question is,' Which of the three is most economical".  :dunno Need to compare everyday mixing amounts of all three to determine which is better for the wallet rather than for the tint used?

film on is my choice....tried the first edition of tint slime and I didn't like it...

I can't use baby shampoo as the smell is not good for me. 

With film on I use about a tablespoon in a 2 liter sprayer.... the 32 oz bottle of film on is under 10 bucks and will last me through about 60,000 worth of tinting.....

Archived