Mazda 6 2015 - Bitten!!!

Rjsi

Curse you!!!   yup! it melted the trim getting that crease out... it was really sunny and did not see this yesterday.  Total damage $60 for replacement.   i called Carsmetics and they wanted $175 to re touch it.  I told them, I want to fix it, not buy a whole new door. 

D6D2A899-E7BE-460E-92D1-58CC0957D631_zps

509F805C-4AEA-4DC7-9FF9-D7E51B30BEE3_zps

Prove that reading and applying the advice posted here are worth it!!!!

This reminds me of an old TOTW I did years ago that would have worked well with a scenerio such as this: Rolldowns only:

In a nutshell (tweak the advice based on the heatgun you use for the seconds ), lets say you have a trim that would burn after 3 seconds but you find you need to heat a all spot for 8 seconds. What you do is roll your window down so your area to be heated is near the bottom of the window. Heat for 2 seconds, roll up a bit , heat for another 2, roll up a bit , another 2 sec. Roll up , another 2 sec.

This way your spot to be heated for the 8 seconds it needed bit the vulnerable trim only got 2 seconds over a wider, mom concentrated area.

Works everytime without damage. Just know your heatgun.

Damn!!!!!!!   talk about one hit with the hammer on the nail head... Thanks TintWizzard!!!

I could've hit that small crease from the inside.. film will react quicker than heating glass then film.  Live and learn, live and learn!!!

However, this is my first event of having to shell out $ for a fix.

Each trim is $60 if they are the glossy ones, the matte ones are 50.  I should be getting the one I ruined from Georgia on Thursday and will install next Sunday.  Funny thing, this guy still wants me to tint his wife's car - so even though I am shelling $60, I am only out a small amount - providing he is a repeat customer. 

I wonder, if pre heating the lil chizzler could avoid this in the future.

Keep the heat moving around the area your trying to fix, use your thumb on the inside to feel the glass heat up as you move the heat around. Once it's hot to touch no more heat is needed and you should be able to get out what your heating without any issues.

Good tips, one other that is pretty safe is just heat further from the edge, and the conduction will carry the heat towards the edge of the glass without blowing heat on the seal at all.

Still gotta take your time and not heat too much, just slowly raise the temp of the area of glass that needs touched up.

All this damage to the Mazdas exterior trim and not once have I seen anyone recommend heating up the crease from the inside. Don't get me wrong, I have had my share of replacing things I've damaged from a heat gun. Next time you have an issue, use you hard card or Lil Chizzler and press down the crease/finger almost all the way to the edge of the film. Hold it there and run your heat gun over the area for a couple seconds on the side of the glass where the film is. Back off a little with your hard card and then try slamming it down. Works almost all of the time with me. Good thing to try if you are dealing with front roll ups that have laminated glass. 

Archived