Pulling Over for Tint in Ohio?

Guest feardabill

Guest feardabill

As I'm sure many of you know Ohio's law for tint is a ridiculous 50%, which doesn't even look worth getting. Anyone have experience in dealing with cops in Ohio for darker tint? I would also be interested in hearing about people being pulled over in other states for illegal tint.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

here your fined a couple hundred bucks every time you caught, plus tint is a part of the state inspection and they are supposed to flunk you if your tint is illegal.

the motorcycle cops here where I live in texas have the light meters and bust people all the time, I can recall 5 people over the last few months that have came by to get new tint becasue what they have is illegal.

50% is rediculious though.

Guest Sprinter

as was said before 50% is better than nothing!

lets see court and expense of getting tint re-tinted plus time off of work to get this all done man that alot of money being wasted!

I work in ohio, I usually apply 35% on most of my tint jobs because most of my customers hate 50%.

Most ohio cops in southwest Ohio don't really mess with the law to bad. It's one of those "scince I pulled you over for speeding let me check your tint" routines.

Now if your rollin limo tint it's a different story, you will get nailed. The only way I can gaurantee you'll never get pulled over is to stick with legal. You've got a good chance of getting away with 35% but a cop on a power trip won't care if: "I bought it like this" or "I thought it was legal" or "I told the guy I wanted legal and he must have installed illegal tint".

Stick with legal, no worries, 35% take a risk. Tickets vary from different townships usually $50.00-$175.00. Is it worth it? you decide.

Guest Marco

Cops in cleveland are pretty good about tint,once in awhile someone who needs to make there ticket qouta will pop you on state laws..can't see in car.About 80% of my tint are 35% 10% at 20 or lower.Twice a year someone will come back and have there tint stripped and go with 50% but then they come back wanting the 35% and don't care if they get a ticket.My girlfriend will roll down her window when she sees a cop,if there on her driver side she rolls down the passenger window and vice versa.She has been popped a few times,the same cop kept pulling her over and giving her tint tickets,but luckily she knows a few cops and he left her alone and no more tickets :angel

Guest feardabill

I've thought about risking it with 35, even though I like 20 a lot more. Can you still see through 35 from the outside quite a bit? I've got a white car so I'm thinking the darker I can go the better it'll look. I appreciate all of the replies so far, they've been helpful.

Guest fimmo

go legal!! thats the best info you'll get here!!!! coz if someone says go for 35% then were telling you to go illegal! we arent going to be responsible for the outcomes so stick to legal film!!

Guest metint
She has been popped a few times,the same cop kept pulling her over and giving her tint tickets,but luckily she knows a few cops and he left her alone and no more tickets :lol

:angel Wow... and that makes it (all) right? :hmmm

:lol

If any have paid attention to the tendency for law enforcement to get 'their' perspective heard more so in the legislating of tint use...

stands to reason that...

continuing to defy the written law will only lead to tighter restrictions in the future or a worse case scenario... the banning of film use altogther.

Keep it legal so we can all feed our families, too. :lol

Guest Me_shelli

Here in Missouri the law changed about a year and a half ago allowing us to have tint on the driver and passenger windows, but only 35%. Well long before that, and before I was a tinter. I was driving my husband's car, at the time he was my finance. It was a 89 Honda Accord, he had just bought. It had dyed faded purple tint all over it. He just hadn't taken it off yet. Well I, of course, got pull over by the high way patrol. He stopped just for the tint. I told him the car wasn't mine and he still gave me a ticket. All I ended up having to do was pull the tint off and take it by the police station in town, get and officer to sign the ticket saying that I had taken it off. Then I went to court and gave the prosecuter the ticket and they dismissed it. So I didn't have to pay a fine, but it did involve quite a bit of time.

Now we can have tint on the front, but you can get ticketed for it and fined up to $300, a time.

Ouch! That would blow.

Guest Marco

It is not Illegal to install tint under 50%,it's up to the costomer to decide if they want the trouble.I warn everyone that anything under %50 is illegal and they have to sign a waiver saying they take responsibilty.As far as the officer,he is not on the streets anymore because of harrasing drivers.My g/f window tint was at %50 but he kept busting her with state codes,she always got pulled over at night.Her friends that are cops knew about the other officer and asked him to stop pulling her over because everyone else could see into the car and he always pulled her over around our house..like he was just waiting to hand out a ticket.So there were no special favors or any laws being broke.