Where are all the Flat Glass Guys

I have used efilm and and i dont think it is that great. 

I agree with you. EFilm has a lot of inherent things that allow for inaccurate results to the point where it is not considered "qualified" building software for calculating commercial building tax deductions.

The other problem is that the accuracy of a BIM software result is inherently dependent on the knowledge and experience of the operator. Similar to what a window film DIY'r install is in comparison to that of an experienced professional but with more expensive consequences.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We just finished a job that we ran a DOE2 on and then had to use another program that the utility company required. Same film same glass, different final calculation. The original one we provided actually was more conservative than the 2nd. Either way they were relatively close in final ROI ( maybe 5% +/- ) and based on recent talks with the property owner it will have a better actual ROI than we estimated. I think the analysis programs do what they can with the info they can get. But there are always going to be variables outside the lines that can not be calculated with 100% certainty.

We just finished a job that we ran a DOE2 on and then had to use another program that the utility company required. Same film same glass, different final calculation. The original one we provided actually was more conservative than the 2nd. Either way they were relatively close in final ROI ( maybe 5% +/- ) and based on recent talks with the property owner it will have a better actual ROI than we estimated. I think the analysis programs do what they can with the info they can get. But there are always going to be variables outside the lines that can not be calculated with 100% certainty.

I deal a lot with Entergy down here in the south and this what they like to use 

http://www.entergy-arkansas.com/content/energy_efficiency/docs/Window_Film_Retrofit_Stipulated_Savings_Calculator.xls

still using shading coefficients drives me nuts but you cant argue with them

Hi everybody. I am Tulio Souza from Brazil I would like to confirm with you one doubt I have . Do you know if Efilm is available for the public or is it a "closed software" that only the  members of IWFA can use it? If so, do you know how I can get it? I am not member of IWFA, but I can join if I will have access to Efilm. Also, do you know if the films from Global are available on software, or only the IWFA manufacturers members?

BIM is common practice here in Brazil, but mostly for new buildings that are applying for LEED certification.

Simulate an existing building with the old and inefficient glass, is something more difficult and the experts in simulation kind of avoid doing this simulation since the results are not that precise.

I would like to know from you if you recomend to use efilm, or other more consolidated software in BIM segment like Design Builder or Energy Plus itself?

Thanks all

On 8/18/2014 at 2:13 PM, Burns said:

TD convinced me today I should post more. I have read this site almost everyday for the past 10 years but have not participated much, because I have tried to maintain a professional distance and not spam and self promote. 

I guess for my 1st real post I would like to discuss flat glass. Our company started out doing just flat glass but our automotive segment has grown tremendously. Flat glass is the reason I got in the business though. I wanted to save people money on their energy bills.

It seems lately like flat glass has lost its momentum. I have seen this internally and notice there are fewer FG post on this board. I used to have customers adding flat glass to auto but now my flat glass dealers are asking about auto.

I have seen the recent studies that say solar control film is going to grow by 90% in the next 3 years. But from my experience consumer awareness is still super low.

I know I am to blame for this as well. As a window film professional I should do more to advertise the benefits of window film to end consumer. This was our original idea. The problem we had was converting this advertising into product sales. Customers would seek multiple bids and dealers would offer other products.

You might not know that my partner and I started Geoshield and another company that distributed solar panels. Solar panels in my opinion are an inferior product to window film but they have much better marketing and awareness. I actually did a study showing that 300 sqft of window film would save a customer more power than 300 sqft of solar panels would produce in a year at 1/10th of the cost. My partner is now running the solar panel company and I am running Geoshield because I believe window film is a better energy efficient product.

I believe the problem is lack of organization. The solar market is much more organized. Manufacture’s have distributors with protected territories, distributors have dealers with exclusive agreements. MSRP are used. Products have more transparency although they are just a commodity like window film. Marketing is direct and focused. Organizations and groups are professionally working together to advertise the benefits. Regulations, checks and balances are in place.

I have seen the same advances in window film but they are often underutilized  i.e. Exclusive dealer programs, IWFA solar control certifications, NFRC, Window Film Mag, window film groups on tintdude, linkedin, facebook, etc. In the end I think window film lacks credibility.

I am as guilty as anyone. As a small company we have not gotten NFRC certification, we are not members of the IWFA, I do not participate on social media enough, we do not advertise the benefits of window film to end consumers. We do not heavily promote exclusive territories. And there are a million other things I can list that we could do better and I always make the excuse it cost too much. Well I think that it is going to cost us more if we don’t start doing these things. I know I am going to start trying more. Sorry this kind of turned into a sad apology letter. 

Apology letter, i think not and im guilty of all the above also, but i dont own a window film manuf. but i appreciate you Burns for being honest. That is what is lacking in this world today and we need more of "HONESTY" or at least admitting.  I have tinted for over 27 yrs from Baton Rouge (B&M GRAPHICS) and south La.  to North La. & East Texas and LA, Cali. 

Thank you Burns for this post it means something to all of us who have busted our a$$ for yrs to educate the comsumer the best we could with what we had. 

Mark Durham