Using white frost film for rear projection on a store front?

I believe you can buy it from DF as well

Yes they have a rear projection film, here is a pic of it next to 3M Vikuiti, 3M Vikuiti is the best film available to use with a rear projector hands down, very expensive.

67bd6802-a662-466c-ad2a-f8eef6a850d4.jpg

9354c398-c11d-4da4-9a64-d749db584411.jpg

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes they have a rear projection film, here is a pic of it next to 3M Vikuiti, 3M Vikuiti is the best film available to use with a rear projector hands down, very expensive.

I'm told that in order to achieve a acceptable contrast ratio on the 3M, the too. Needs to be very dark. Another architect we have done things with found that to be a problem.

I'm told that in order to achieve a acceptable contrast ratio on the 3M, the too. Needs to be very dark. Another architect we have done things with found that to be a problem.

Nope, the 3M Vikuiti works great even on a window facing outside at daytime.

Perhaps look at some YouTube vids for yourself.

Tom, if you look at the pic Fox posted, a white frost film was used, as you can see even indoors the projected picture looks foggy.

Here is a pic I snapped at 3M HQ, Vikuiti was used on a video display with Greg Biffle from the waist up looks very vibrant.

ebba5466-6fdf-4848-b7e0-7e151b13ea92.png

I might be missing the point here since I am more a auto guy but what's the benefit of using the mmm dark stuff as rear projection on a storefront? The only job of this kind I ever did was with Richard at Solar Control Films in STL for the Kemper art museum on the Washington University campus. We mounted the clear film on 4x8 sheet of acrylic. Price for product was really high so we donated our work. Here is a post from Richards blog on the job http://www.autowindowtinting.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=content.display&pageID=168

At the Automechanika show in Frankfurt Germany the Solyx folks had a large piece of their clear (very light) film across the front of their booth. They had a crowd the entire show which was great for me since I was doing demos at the Global booth across the isle!! I haven't seen dark films used this way so nothing to compare the clear with :dunno guess I better check Ytube.

Cheers

Stan

Far as I'm aware a frosted vinyl or reflective type of vinyl will show a picture. Not the best but will work. Again, from what I'm only in belief of, a rea projection film will not only show a brighter clearer picture, but it will hold that picture when viewed from a tight angle where a frosted film will distort....

Any info would be great with this tendering for a job with this unspecd

I might be missing the point here since I am more a auto guy but what's the benefit of using the mmm dark stuff as rear projection on a storefront? The only job of this kind I ever did was with Richard at Solar Control Films in STL for the Kemper art museum on the Washington University campus. We mounted the clear film on 4x8 sheet of acrylic. Price for product was really high so we donated our work. Here is a post from Richards blog on the job http://www.autowindowtinting.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=content.display&pageID=168

At the Automechanika show in Frankfurt Germany the Solyx folks had a large piece of their clear (very light) film across the front of their booth. They had a crowd the entire show which was great for me since I was doing demos at the Global booth across the isle!! I haven't seen dark films used this way so nothing to compare the clear with :dunno guess I better check Ytube.

Cheers

Stan

I have not installed the Solyx material Stan, but on a upcoming project, I believe that is what will be used. Like I said before, the architect has found that the darker 3M has poor contrast in the space where it will be used.

Guest GOODJOB

Hey, I just saw this on tintdude. Im Chris- from Prolightfilms.com. I saw the post about the projection films being too expensive.

and difficult to find quality material. We are a window tint shop that started a projection films co 4 yrs ago and have some very large

clients due to our pricing, quality and we also changed our contractors license to this company.

If anyone needs projection film and tips please call us. We will give window tinting shops 25% off our Proline of film.

We also carry an econo version just like everyone else's for a great price.

I  saw someone wanted to use white frost film for projection. Call us or email and we will let you know how to do it.

Archived