Help! Is this tint job acceptable?

Guest RedneckPhysics

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Some glitter trapped underneath I think..........

:spit

That is not a very good representation of our industry. Contact Your salesman at the dealership. I would see You having no problems getting Your money back.

Onto the issue of the tint "bending" around the defroster lines. The light You are seeing at night is called "refraction". This cannot be helped as the tint is uneven over the defroster lines causing the light issues.

Guest RedneckPhysics

Thanks for the opinions guys!! 

Onto the issue of the tint "bending" around the defroster lines. The light You are seeing at night is called "refraction". This cannot be helped as the tint is uneven over the defroster lines causing the light issues.

LOL, oops, thanks for pointing that out Booms. I should know better than to say reflection there... I just received an applied physics degree... true story. *Facepalm* Hey! You called out a physics major! That's a claim to fame right there!!  :D

So, I'm assuming the effect doesn't much change with higher quality tinting? If so, is there a specific brand that deals with the refraction issues the best? Say, something with a bit of adhesive or filler agent that has a similar index of refraction as the tint?

As far as the rainbow effect with tinted glasses goes... I'm assuming that some of it was due to birefringence caused by the application liquid still trapped under the film, as it did get better with time. I have heard stories of brands/types of tint that don't have the effect, do you guys know if that's true?

I'm not totally opposed to getting regular sunglasses though... it's just sad I won't be using my nice ones much anymore.

Seriously, thanks again! The service manager looked at me like I was crazy the other day when bringing it by for the first time.

I would maybe contact the dealer to find out who they use. Then get in touch with them and express your concerns. Most tinters at least up here are willing to work with you when you contact them. Going through the dealer you'll probably just get beat around the bush with. Also never go for that dealer package. Nine times out of ten you can get a better deal outside, and get to pick your installer. Hope this helps and they get you straightened out.

Guest RedneckPhysics

I would maybe contact the dealer to find out who they use. Then get in touch with them and express your concerns. Most tinters at least up here are willing to work with you when you contact them. Going through the dealer you'll probably just get beat around the bush with. Also never go for that dealer package. Nine times out of ten you can get a better deal outside, and get to pick your installer. Hope this helps and they get you straightened out.

Sounds good... I may try to go down the road of getting my money back on this... the car has a lot of issues. Came with rail dust, which is going to be fixed by dealer at a detail shop I trust. The tints of course. 3M door edge film was placed over some rail dust... so that will need to be redone. Windshield wiper arm is manufactured out of spec... wiper fell off onto the hood. No scratches though! Dealer topped off the nitrogen tires with wet air... so alignment gets out of spec. on long trips. Drivers side door takes extra force to close properly, and it's not due to simple things like stoppers/gaskets. Lots of stuff... I hit the jackpot on this car.

And awesome avatar btw... Heisenbeeeerg!  :thumb

Guest RedneckPhysics

Birefringence.....

What ? :blink

It's a really cool property of optical materials: I'm trying to find an article on it that really explains it well... but can't really find one. Wikipedia has some good pictures if you're interested, but the article is really technical. I think it's what's behind the rainbow effect we see when looking through tints with polarized glasses, but I could be wrong. Basically, it's the same effect responsible for what we see when you take pictures of clear plastic with a polarizing filter on your camera... you shine white light on the plastic, but you see a rainbow effect reflecting back through it instead. Engineers sometimes use this to study how much "stress" is trapped in a material.

I'm having a tough time figuring out whether or not it's the actual film of water/soap (is that what you guys usually use to apply tint these days?) behind the tint, the tint itself, plus the stress in tempered windows that causes the effect. I noticed it was a whole lot worse when the tints were first applied. I'll post something for you guys if I ever figure it out someday! I have a suspicion it's the temper in the windows plus the thin film behind the tint.

Archived