rear windscreen and heat tips

Guest scso13

Guest scso13

any tips on doing rear windscreen when its 95+ degrees outside and working in a garge with no temp control? Acting like it's drying out to fast when squeegeing. can hear the film snapping, like the sound it makes after you have already squeegeed and have to remove, as im trying to squeege right after just placing film on glass and then I get to spot where it doesnt "snap" and i crease film. I've used a generous amount of solution on glass and film and still seems to dry out fast.

I use the same mixture for slip rather it be 95 outside or freezing.  I am sure the shops have been over 100 the last few days as it has been 95 outside and I don't get AC.  If your film is not slipping I would increase your slip mix.  Mix it until you get the slip you want.

Unless it is some sort of sunlight heating up the glass you should not be affected by the temp being 95....that is not super hot.

Guest scso13

I use the same mixture for slip rather it be 95 outside or freezing.  I am sure the shops have been over 100 the last few days as it has been 95 outside and I don't get AC.  If your film is not slipping I would increase your slip mix.  Mix it until you get the slip you want.

Unless it is some sort of sunlight heating up the glass you should not be affected by the temp being 95....that is not super hot.

Guess I was just trying to see if the ambient temp had a real play on it or if it was something I was doing. I'm using the same mix for slip that I've been using, no problems sliding on glass to get it where I want it only when I go to actually squeege, using EWF classic black by the way. Now the car had been sitting outside all day in direct sunlight, but in a garage while tinting and I figured sitting in sunlight didnt really matter since shrinking is going to heat glass up anyways. Ill try changing my slip mixture some. Thanks.

With EWF, depending on the film you use, you better move fast under the sun.  Classic Black is one fast bonding film.  As a mobile tinter and most jobs done under the sun, for the rear glass I use a bit more slip and try to get it on target or very close on the first try, this is to avoid wasting time so you can move forward with hitting with the squeegee right away.

Spray down the outside of the glass with a fresh spray bottle of water to cool it down just before sticking, or if you have a helper have him keep hosing it down while you are applying. May help if the glass is that hot it's drying out your slip. :dunno

I typically shrink just before I start sticking the roll downs so by the time I get to the BG it has cooled down.

Guest scso13

What are you using for solution?

johnson & johnson.

Haven't had a chance to try differnt slip mixture yet. Going to do it this weekend one way or another.

Archived