First experience with True Cut.

First off I put this here because their is no True cut under the software section. :thumb

Most my PPF career has been hand cutting. I Started using Digital Design about 2 years ago quite a bit. For the  most part patterns fit well.

I have had True Cut for the past year and only now decided to try a few bumpers. So far I have tried 3 bumper, and all are in the trash. Its not that they did not fit to my liking. They plain just do not fit. I'm talking inches off, from top to bottom. Just thought I could save some one some wasted film. I will be cancelling. 

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just in the early stages myself with PPF here in Aus, I was lucky enough to do the Xpel course here and get some insight into the design process and template creation. Although they will never give away exactly how its done I would give the Xpel DAP a go before you completely pack it in.

Also a lot of older model cars were done using older techniques so you will find they aren't the best, but they are not exactly going to go out and redo older cars when the main market is new cars...if that makes sense.

I can also vouch that the one kit Suntek sent me to try awhile ago had the same problem, it simply did not fit, the precut fender allowed for no stretch but was not even cut exact, slight overhang between the fender and the bumper which meant I would have had to hand trim which defeats the purpose of the kits. This was over multiple areas and although new to PPF it was easy to see it was the kit itself that doesn't fit. Lucky I didn't pay for it and lucky it wasn't a customer as 2 weeks later they are still scratching their heads....

The Xpel kits fit nice and are created with stretch in mind, considering they can stretch up to 75% then its not an issue and always seems to ensure it is up to your correct technique to fit it right rather than the kit being wrong. Just my two cents (as a newb) and I know there are some really skilled guys here that bulk install everything, but for us new dogs relying on kit that can fit is a must!

Just in the early stages myself with PPF here in Aus, I was lucky enough to do the Xpel course here and get some insight into the design process and template creation. Although they will never give away exactly how its done I would give the Xpel DAP a go before you completely pack it in.

Also a lot of older model cars were done using older techniques so you will find they aren't the best, but they are not exactly going to go out and redo older cars when the main market is new cars...if that makes sense.

I can also vouch that the one kit Suntek sent me to try awhile ago had the same problem, it simply did not fit, the precut fender allowed for no stretch but was not even cut exact, slight overhang between the fender and the bumper which meant I would have had to hand trim which defeats the purpose of the kits. This was over multiple areas and although new to PPF it was easy to see it was the kit itself that doesn't fit. Lucky I didn't pay for it and lucky it wasn't a customer as 2 weeks later they are still scratching their heads....

The Xpel kits fit nice and are created with stretch in mind, considering they can stretch up to 75% then its not an issue and always seems to ensure it is up to your correct technique to fit it right rather than the kit being wrong. Just my two cents (as a newb) and I know there are some really skilled guys here that bulk install everything, but for us new dogs relying on kit that can fit is a must!

I was sorry I couldn't get away to attend that Oceania/Xpel training day Supreme, did they get a few people there?

I was sorry I couldn't get away to attend that Oceania/Xpel training day Supreme, did they get a few people there?

I was supposed to get to that too, but couldn't. 

Yeh it was awesome, the guys from Xpel were great and Alex the trainer was amazing, cant beat the knowledge of someone that travels the globe to train people. Oceania are also a great bunch of guys and the course that was put on was unlike any i have experienced. I am used to vinyl manufacturers that really dont put the time and care into the end user when we are the ones that push the product that makes them money.

Prob my only gripe was the limit for the course went from 10 people to 18. Understand that it wont happen often but when you can only practice on 5 cars it was hard to get a panel you really wanted to do unless you wasted time standing for a couple of hours for someone to finish e.g bumpers.

Def invaluable to learning how to install PPF properly!

If you are using an early TruCut pattern, like from a car 3+ years old, they did not design those kits themselves, but bought a package of kits from 'somewhere' to provide vintage vehicle coverage.  Your results may vary, but yea, I had that same problem.  I had a vehicle or two brought from a body shop after a re-paint, and things didn't fit 'right'.  I automatically eliminate any parking sensors, or tow hook plugs from a bumper kit as my hand cuts always look better anyways, but other than body shop cars, it's hand hand hand installation.

However, in the past year they have trained up a pattern making crew themselves, and I'd imagine the patterns will be better for current + vehicles.

Just in the early stages myself with PPF here in Aus, I was lucky enough to do the Xpel course here and get some insight into the design process and template creation. Although they will never give away exactly how its done I would give the Xpel DAP a go before you completely pack it in.

Not saying I am done with PPF, just True Cut. I have been doing it for over 10 years. I will just stick to bulking or I use Digital Design.

As far as the Dap being the best fitting, I have no doubt that it is. The only problem for me is the cost. I live in a area where PPF is used quite a bit and we have a good amount of shops that install it and do good work. So in turn we don't get to charge as much in our market as most others here in the states. So the cut fee per car cuts deep into our profits. Although I am contemplating give it a go if it would be able to help a new installer to lessen the training curve. That's price less.

I have been using Tru-Cut for over two years now and have only found one kit that didn't fit well... a fender that was about a half an inch narrow. Other than that all of their kits are spot on. I also have Xpel's program which is a backup in case I cant find a pattern I need. I will say patterns are VERY easy to modify with Tru-Cut where as Xpel's program is just not that easy. maybe its easy to add wrapped edges but other than that it is not user friendly. Not to mention I can nest patterns from multiple cars into one cut where Xpel I can only cut one pattern at a time... which wastes a lot of film... and that is obviously by design since they will end up selling you more film. One last thing I will add is at least I don't have to worry about Suntek coming into my market, under cutting my prices, and stealing my business like someone else is doing across the South. That's about as shady as it gets.

Archived