First experience with True Cut.

I'd have to go back to check whats cars they were. It was about a week ago. I two of them were new Mercedes, can't remember the models. 

Also I could not believe the hoods don't wrap. I know you can adjust them but ... The only reason to have a plotted hood IMHO is to get that nice curve to hid the edge better, so far all the hoods look to be cut straight across. 

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The kit I had which didn't fit properly was a 2012 Subaru outback. The front bumper and height of the grille onto the bonnet were completely different which I put down to possibly the US having a different version (we seem to get that a lot here in Aus) but the side fender was a couple mm too long down where it meets the bumper. This was with no stretch, just placement.

Can understand the odd different front ends across countries (although a pain) but would not think the fender is a couple of mm bigger. They still haven't gotten back to me 2 weeks later so again even if they had cut the wrong kit or something you can imagine how impressed a customer would have been first wasting time dropping the car off to have nothing installed and then waiting 2+weeks to find out whats going on, that can kill a business image!!..... and yes I know it would be easier if I had my own cutter but I just don't have that cash lying around and I need to be sure the PPF market is there before I outlay it....

Again that was just my one experience, im sure the others can give a better idea with their extensive experience

I know a lot of people might disagree with me but, if you want to do PPF learn to bulk/hand cut. Its not as hard or scary as people think if you are detail oriented. You will never turn a job down because of a pattern. You will also gain a better understanding of PPF as a whole. Then when a new model comes out you don't have to wait for a pattern.

Its something I want to look into as im used to it with vinyl. The kits will help me learn and understand the limits and workings of the fim but my other concern is also switching between the two cutting wise, haven't played to much with learning how to trim it but id imagine it is a different pressure to vinyl and switching between the two may mean I suddenly use too much pressure with the vinyl and cut the paint.

The above is prob just paranoia and I may find its not that bad :) I will also bulk install full hoods always anyway.

The other plus I see to kits is the install time is lowered due to everything fitting snuggly (in theory) which also keeps the costs down which is needed in my area due to the lower average car price = equals less likely to spend money on their car (as I am finding)

I have been using Tru-Cut for over two years now and have only found one kit that didn't fit well... a fender that was about a half an inch narrow. Other than that all of their kits are spot on. I also have Xpel's program which is a backup in case I cant find a pattern I need. I will say patterns are VERY easy to modify with Tru-Cut where as Xpel's program is just not that easy. maybe its easy to add wrapped edges but other than that it is not user friendly. Not to mention I can nest patterns from multiple cars into one cut where Xpel I can only cut one pattern at a time... which wastes a lot of film... and that is obviously by design since they will end up selling you more film. One last thing I will add is at least I don't have to worry about Suntek coming into my market, under cutting my prices, and stealing my business like someone else is doing across the South. That's about as shady as it gets.

For the record you can nest multiple patterns in the DAP.  SImply highlight a pattern and select "copy," then open the pattern you want to nest it with and select "paste." At that point, you can rearrange the pattern as needed to fit on whichever size of film you prefer to make sure that you are using film as efficiently as possible.

Holes in the pattern like tow hooks or sensor. Never fit right with either Dap or Tru-cut. So I always delete them and hand trim them.

Can you post an example of what you mean by "never fit right" so that I can see what you are referring to?

Archived