Cross Trained

What other fields that coincide with window tinting are you trained in (e.g., Glass, PPF, Wraps, Remote Starts, etc)?

I'm trained in automotive tint and automotive glass replacement. If I ever go out on my own I think I would want to just focus on tint. I don't really care much for glass work plus the start up costs are much higher than tint.

To those that are self employed, do you find it better to master one area or to be a jack of all trades, master of none? Master of none is a little harsh, since I know you can be good in many of these areas I just wonder what your thoughts are?

Commercial/resi always, but offer roll down shades, custom deco film/vinyl, and skylight covers.  We have recently gotten into signage on glass or lexan as well as lettering.  We refuse to do solar screens, and only do automotive for previous customers.

For my wife and I, after getting involved with construction companies, it was a no brainer to try and offer them more for their build-outs as a "one stop shop", and we grew from there.  I have 5 deco/vinyl jobs this week that will push into next week, and 3 roller shade orders that won't be installed for a couple of weeks.  Also have 1 signage project, along with my regular comm/resi work.

Thought it would be a slow week with school starting, but we are swamped.  I love it!

Get out of the auto biz bro.  When someone can compare an auto tint shop to nail salons or cleaners, you are in the wrong biz.

I believe I am the quintessential jack-of-all-trades master-of-none, but I think that has worked to my advantage....to date at least. :lol

My company's "flagship" service is window film and by far it has the largest margins, but not as much volume or demand. The volume of our work comes in our window/door "division." Though not quite as profitable, this work is steady year-round and plays well with the window film because of the contacts generated. We are the recommended installation and service company for the 3 main building suppliers in the area, as well as a bunch of contractors. This really helps in selling our other services without a lot of marketing or advertisement. Once you are in the door and gained trust, people are much more open to hearing you out. We've sold up to 5 different services to one customer and usually average about 2-3 on most jobs by the time it's all said and done.

We also offer: Shades/Blinds, window washing, overhead doors, bug/insect screening, cable railing, smaller commercial/residential renovations, cabinets and woodworking.

Also found a surprisingly decent niche in building custom carriage house style garage doors and custom screen doors. Really good demand and money in it but not a lot of people offering it in a custom format.

We are spread thin at times because we have a relatively small workforce to handle all this, but we are 100% debt-free and still growing. It seems we don't have the lulls throughout the year like other companies that offer just one service do. Always something on the books or at least resources to get something on the books. I hope to back off our services in a year or two to the ones that have proved most consistent and profitable but we'll see how that goes..... :dunno

i think it is good to know how to do a few different things. i enjoy tinting and already know about car detailing.....

however i would really like to get a vinyl plotter to make signs....that would be a great convenient add-on.  yesterday i ordered a set of PDR tools......would like to get good at that.  it wouldnt hurt being jack of many trades as long as you are good enuf to charge for it......

I do glass tinting & Custom detailing on high end vehicles mainly.. therefore when I'm not doing tint I'm detailing something.. goes hand in hand too once a customer comes in for tint they will want a detail too. Easy way to make a good chunk of money off one client!

Commercial/resi always, but offer roll down shades, custom deco film/vinyl, and skylight covers.  We have recently gotten into signage on glass or lexan as well as lettering.  We refuse to do solar screens, and only do automotive for previous customers.

For my wife and I, after getting involved with construction companies, it was a no brainer to try and offer them more for their build-outs as a "one stop shop", and we grew from there.  I have 5 deco/vinyl jobs this week that will push into next week, and 3 roller shade orders that won't be installed for a couple of weeks.  Also have 1 signage project, along with my regular comm/resi work.

Thought it would be a slow week with school starting, but we are swamped.  I love it!

Get out of the auto biz bro.  When someone can compare an auto tint shop to nail salons or cleaners, you are in the wrong biz.

We currently do TINT (auto and flatglass), AUTO GLASS REPLACEMENT, AUTO DETAILING, VINYL....

I'd like some info on the roller shades and skylight covers. Anything you can provide would help!!

Give me a shout if you have time! 515-971-3902 or dsmtad@gmail.com

(we're in iowa)

Thanks so much!

I believe I am the quintessential jack-of-all-trades master-of-none, but I think that has worked to my advantage....to date at least. :lol

My company's "flagship" service is window film and by far it has the largest margins, but not as much volume or demand. The volume of our work comes in our window/door "division." Though not quite as profitable, this work is steady year-round and plays well with the window film because of the contacts generated. We are the recommended installation and service company for the 3 main building suppliers in the area, as well as a bunch of contractors. This really helps in selling our other services without a lot of marketing or advertisement. Once you are in the door and gained trust, people are much more open to hearing you out. We've sold up to 5 different services to one customer and usually average about 2-3 on most jobs by the time it's all said and done.

We also offer: Shades/Blinds, window washing, overhead doors, bug/insect screening, cable railing, smaller commercial/residential renovations, cabinets and woodworking.

Also found a surprisingly decent niche in building custom carriage house style garage doors and custom screen doors. Really good demand and money in it but not a lot of people offering it in a custom format.

We are spread thin at times because we have a relatively small workforce to handle all this, but we are 100% debt-free and still growing. It seems we don't have the lulls throughout the year like other companies that offer just one service do. Always something on the books or at least resources to get something on the books. I hope to back off our services in a year or two to the ones that have proved most consistent and profitable but we'll see how that goes..... :dunno

Dang bro!  Very cool!  I like it!!!!

I started out installing mobile electronics, learned detailing, learned window tinting, vinyl and ppf applications. HVAC was my first trade as my dad has his own hvac business. Learned to work on cars from my uncle the mechanic. Cross training is a great thing!

Right on TJ and TE sounds like you guys are very busy. I hope someday I will be as successful as it seems you guys are.

Get out of the auto biz bro. When someone can compare an auto tint shop to nail salons or cleaners, you are in the wrong biz.

I hear this a lot around the forum so obviously there is some truth to it. For me though it's what I spend most of time doing and I don't have the experience at this time in the other areas you mention. However, I really do enjoy automotive tinting. I have a passion for it, I love seeing the difference in appearance that I make after installing film. I love seeing the reaction of the customer who takes one look at their car and loves the work I've done. Sure every once in awhile we get the super picky customer, but the reality is we get those types of people in all walks of life.

I believe I rarely see these types of customers because of the standards I hold myself to. Therefore I'm always sending out excellent work.

I believe I am the quintessential jack-of-all-trades master-of-none, but I think that has worked to my advantage....to date at least.

Wow I should say! That's enough to make most of our heads explode! :thumb

Archived