A question about llumar automotive window films

Guest qowpel

did llumar change the adhesive on ctx as well...if so maybe that's why the film is so curly now.  :chin

It is my understanding HPR has not changed in chemistry since it was first brought to market around 1990. What has changed is film components, glass and matrix material chemistry.

Curl can be caused by uneven cancelling of accumulated component tension (or stretch) and LLumar's SRC. Their SRC absorbs moisture like a sponge which exacerbates the minutest of curl from manufacturing. So sensitive, high humidity can contribute. Seems to be the one trade off to having the hardest in the industry. Exclude their ATC which seems to have reports of sporadic issues with the same SRC. I personally don't care for straight dyed films so it's a non-issue for any of my installations.

Question for smartie....You're saying that 99% uv absorption isn't enough??

I would think that'd be more than enough what's the difference?? Not being a smart ass, just curious.

Direct from llumartech.com:

"UVShield at 99.9% covers a wider range of UVA wavelengths than other films.

If the film product allows less than 1% UV transmission, the SPF would be about 100 or more. With 1.5% UV transmission, the SPF would be 66.66. With a UV transmission of 2%, the SPF would be 50. A film with a 99.9% UV block would have an SPF of 1000 or more.Simply divide 100 by the percentage of UV transmission and you would have the SPF number." 

Edit: Although the above speaks in terms of SPF, SPF has a biological aspect to its calculation so the above is hypothetical to give an idea of performance differences.

Archived