vinyl wrap texture from air tracking

Guest fuzzysig

Guest fuzzysig

every time I get a sample of any brand of vinyl I always notice the texture that shows up from the air tracking patterm

the honeycomb or whatever other texture there is.

does that go away with time or is it always there?

that is what stops me from ordering a full roll to do my car I don't like the lack of smoothness like real clearcoat has.

Guest fuzzysig

yea huh? makes sense. not really... I don't work at a car wrap shop just DIY my own cars. small parts etc

im more concerned with the air tracking pattern showing through once its laid on the car.

every time I get a sample of any brand of vinyl I always notice the texture that shows up from the air tracking patterm

the honeycomb or whatever other texture there is.

does that go away with time or is it always there?

that is what stops me from ordering a full roll to do my car I don't like the lack of smoothness like real clearcoat has.

What vinyl are you thinking on using ......... ?

yea huh? makes sense. not really... I don't work at a car wrap shop just DIY my own cars. small parts etc

That says it all.... as with everything you get what you pay for, so my question would be the same as Mike's, What vinyl are you using?

Guest angelsautotint

Several brands have issues showing the air egress through the vinyl itself. I have seen it in everything from Avery and 3m to cheap Chinese made film. A lot of that has to do with the type of vinyl you are using. On textured vinyls you'll usually never see it and if you do RUN! But some chromes you will see it mildly when stretching to its limits. Other satin and matte finishes tend to show it the most. If anyone remembers the matte white Avery started with, it showed all the egress lines and the underlying color. They had to make the film thicker and put on a silver backing to solve the issue. 3m pearl white used to have the same problem. 

What brand, color and finish are you noticing the problems with? Try the same (or close) color from another manny and it may solve your problem. Try to stay away from cheap films as well, most large companies have solved most of the issues already.

Archived