Porsche Macan

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think your get it to fit if you secure the film tight by the pillars and rock it down towards the badge area.

But I think in stretching it down it will create problems the other sides of the headlights.

Only done a part bonnet.

I hate those things.  Done probably 10-15 full hoods and what a pain.  Its quite a chore just getting it stretched to where the seams are with the Xpel pattern.  Also under the headlights at the inside tip, the interior panels meet there so its not an easy place to get the wrap to bite without some kind of relief cut.  The pattern itself is huge, 60 by 90 and it uses up enough film to do a full upper on a 911, hood and fenders, so debris is a bigger i$$ue.

That being said, on a light colored car, I'm sure its doable, not so sure I'd want to try it on a black one though.  My biggest concern is going to be removals.  Those hoods are hollow, easy to dent, and probably cost as much as a Corolla.  I had to redo a white one because the lady got sap all over it and it nearly bent it out of shape taking off a three week old install. 

I would prefer a pattern that is seamed along the body lines north and south instead of one big giant piece with two little add ons at the corners.  That would be easier to install and less stress on the hood come removal time.

Thanks for the info guys.

Other question, is how short did it come?  If putting a sheet on in bulk, with the back corners "just' touching, how short is the front from reaching?

I remember now, it is the Jag F-type that requires a bit more stretch to cover in full than the R8.  The R8 used to be my 'uh oh' vehicle when it would schedule, but the F-type is worse but do-able.

The new Viper is a no-go to do in one piece.  Had a white one, and with the deep vents, and being close to 66" tall, or maybe more, I just went about 1" above the top vents.  Still a big PITA, and it sux that the plastic vent inserts are likely to break if you try to remove them, as that would ease install a LOT.  The plastic tabs are too heavy, and just want to snap.  Or, they may take a small chunk out of the carbon fiber hood removing.  Either way, not making things any easier on us.

A light colored car is doable. Anything dark, I would not try as you will see the stretch marks. In reality, you are trying to get about 4 or 5  inches which is quite the task regardless of you using bulk or a pattern. From what I've heard, we will be seeing more of these types of hoods in the future for Porsche. 

I Appologize i posted yesterday did a couple of these hoods and even stated easy. (LOL)  I actually have done one of these full hoods with a 60" piece by about 90" and although i was able to install it was by no means easy!. I actually started Mid hood worked shield to top of hood both upper corners, worked down to lower hood which leaves a large amount of excess shield, around both of the headlights if stretched properly you should be able to cut remaining shield and splice at center of both headlamps I will try and post a video of the next one I appologize. 

I have done a couple of full hoods on this vehicle and yes there is a little stretching but i was able to do the full hood with a 60" roll and it came out perfect. actually pretty easy front shield to do

Curious, what length of 60" width do you use to get this accomplished?

Thanks

~A

I Appologize i posted yesterday did a couple of these hoods and even stated easy. (LOL)  I actually have done one of these full hoods with a 60" piece by about 90" and although i was able to install it was by no means easy!. I actually started Mid hood worked shield to top of hood both upper corners, worked down to lower hood which leaves a large amount of excess shield, around both of the headlights if stretched properly you should be able to cut remaining shield and splice at center of both headlamps I will try and post a video of the next one I appologize.

Guest LockedDown

Just did a white Macan in one piece using XPEL. Its a PITA thats for sure. Bulk install, pinned it to the pillar/door area, it was a good 4-5 inches short on badge area. Stretched it over badge area and then pinned it down sides on bumper towards headlights. Seamed it under headlights. Not sure I would do a black car though, it took a long time and no way you can get it done perfectly like a black car demands. I would say this is for sure one of the harder hoods anyone would have to do, if not the hardest.

Archived