Porsche Macan

I recently did a partial hood (thank God, ha ha). If I get a full hood, I'll just seam it at the back of the hood to avoid all of the possible stretch line issues and headaches. Since both edges would be machine cut, they could be seamed very tightly. I'd let the customer know exactly what I was going to do and why.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I did a full hood recently but wasn't able to get the stretch I needed as it was pretty cool in the showroom I worked. I have worked out a method though for seeming two pieces of Suntek together and heating it slowly so that it heals. If done properly you cant see where the film seams up. On another note I have done two Porsche 918s and the hood has the same issue, larger than 60" What a car though.

I did a full hood on a Macan a couple months ago using Suntek PPF. It was a black, but vinyl wrapped in the blue color same as the OP of this thread.

Bulk film, one piece, wrapped all edges. It was a tough stretch, but not compared to a black Ferrari FF full hood I've done, that was a beast! Had to put a seam under the headlight on the Macan because of so much bulk film in that area. Could've laid it flat with no seam but the film would've been under so much stress there would have been potential to lift later. There was no 'good' place for a seam, so just had to do the best I could. Butt-seam and then heated to heal the film together to hide it the best, turned out great!

Happy customer, happy installer!

I did a full hood on a Macan a couple months ago using Suntek PPF. It was a black, but vinyl wrapped in the blue color same as the OP of this thread.

Bulk film, one piece, wrapped all edges. It was a tough stretch, but not compared to a black Ferrari FF full hood I've done, that was a beast! Had to put a seam under the headlight on the Macan because of so much bulk film in that area. Could've laid it flat with no seam but the film would've been under so much stress there would have been potential to lift later. There was no 'good' place for a seam, so just had to do the best I could. Butt-seam and then heated to heal the film together to hide it the best, turned out great!

We did the hood without any seams. It has not come back with any issues. We did not feel it was under too much stretch in the headlight areas.

We did the hood without any seams. It has not come back with any issues. We did not feel it was under too much stretch in the headlight areas.

Nicely done Tint Yoda

It was the first Macan full hood I did and felt it was a safe route to go. Maybe the next one I do I'll take a different approach.

Any pics of this? I would love to see it since you are the only one to have done that so far.

Any pics of this? I would love to see it since you are the only one to have done that so far.

Here it is. We did this one a few weeks ago. Is it perfect? No, but its better than perfect with seams IMO. Do I like doing them? Hell NO! LOL. I must swear 10x as much on those days  :lol. I can tell you the stretch under the headlights was the least of my concerns. It never even tried coming up once in that area so should hold no problem. 

15718052893_e57c1e2343_z.jpg

Archived