Buying American?

hughhernandez

I wrote a post earlier that had mentioned how I was a fan of buying American manufactured window tinting (and paint protection films). 

It had some debatable comments, that stuck in my mind for a week or so. 

I found it interesting that the higher end of the pay rate in China (according to Wikipedia) is approximately .17 cents (US) per hour. 

This compared to the average pay rate in Martinsville, Virginia (Llumar's largest manufacturing facility -  just used as an example) is approximately $17 dollars (US) per hour. 

With labor rates so low, it seems to me that China can be more profitable (in percentages) than Virginia even when priced much cheaper.

With profit comes the ability to streamline and improve. Essentially, we all reinvest when we have the money to do so.

To me, this means that eventually we are in jeopardy of losing the manufacturing end of this industry to overseas competition.   

Like many Americans, I buy other products that are not manufactured in the USA and I am not offended by 'Made in China'. Just visit any retail store and you'll find many examples in support of this statement. So I hope this doesn't come off as a rant against Chinese products, I am only using China as a comparison. They are an extraordinary people, who are bringing their 'A' game to the industry and they are seasoned competitors.  

I am however, as an American, not intimidated by competition. I think we have earned the right to say that USA manufactured window tinting and paint protection products are the best in the business. As a business person, I feel I need to support this position in order to keep us relevant.   

Llumar, SunTek, Solar Gard, Madico, 3M, etc... They may have affiliations in other countries, but they do manufacture here and contribute to our economy. They pay American wages, which are substantially higher than they need to and employ some of the brightest people in our industry. For now, they are making the best products available in today's market and we really should consider supporting them so they can stay on top.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"best products available in today's market"

I had a chance to use some llumar at competiton earlier this year....scratch coat SUCKS!  Johnson is even better.

Madico being made by the same factory that is making sun-gard....same basic faces behind that "magic curtain" as were there when it was FTI and they screwed many people....

Suntek being now or soon to be fully owned by the same parent as llumar....

Might be good products but calling them "THE best products" I think is stretching it....

I prefer American made anything to anything Chinese made. Here is where I sometimes shop: http://madeinusaforever.com/

In Twelve Step lingo:

I won't be an enabler of a country that apparently will have to "hit bottom" and admit they are "powerless" over their horrible addition to ingesting LEAD and putting it in countless children's products.

See: article China exports lead poisoning

http://www.wnd.com/2007/06/41959/

Nice sentiment hughhernandez, and a stance to be applauded for. :thumb

For my part, being a proud Aussie, I try and buy "Australian Made" as much as is possible to do - even when that costs $$$ more.

But it is getting harder to distinguish what is actually made entirely in your own country. Are all the components made here or is it put together with imported components?

Is the parent company foreign owned? Is the imported product actually a better product?

So many things to consider these days when trying to support your own. :unsure:

I had a chance to use some llumar at competiton earlier this year....scratch coat SUCKS! Johnson is even better.

Madico being made by the same factory that is making sun-gard....same basic faces behind that "magic curtain" as were there when it was FTI and they screwed many people....

Might be good products but calling them "THE best products" I think is stretching it....

i use Johnson and llumar time to time never had a scratch coat issue. Inthink your confused with scratchtek

I had a chance to use some llumar at competiton earlier this year....scratch coat SUCKS! Johnson is even better.

i use Johnson and llumar time to time never had a scratch coat issue. Inthink your confused with scratchtek

no confusion unless llumar, performance films/tools, and a lot of people were passing out some other film.  It was the CTX and a brand new yellow gator, buffed to smooth, scratched the film.  Same tech I use on every window i tint every day.... only seen that weak of a hard coat there on all 3 rounds!

Archived