Exterior film

jh812

I have a commercial job coming up that is going to require some exterior film. They are going to be right beside some windows with an interior film that i will be applying. Customer does not want a high reflectivity. I was considering daylight natural from Johnson. Any other suggestions?

Johnsons DN20 external or Hanita Titan20 external. Both are not silver, but not really low reflective black either.

Then there is also 3M PR 40 ex.

You have a few choices.

I think 35 was asking on here once if a solar film applied externally with an overlay of something like SG Sentinel Clear would last any length of time. Just wouldn't be any manny warranty on it.

Johnsons DN20 external or Hanita Titan20 external. Both are not silver, but not really low reflective black either.

Then there is also 3M PR 40 ex.

You have a few choices.

I think 35 was asking on here once if a solar film applied externally with an overlay of something like SG Sentinel Clear would last any length of time. Just wouldn't be any manny warranty on it.

I've done double applications on glass fencing using solar film with an overlay of anti-graffitti for protection from the elements a number of times before. Like Rocky said, no warranty, but it's holding up well so far. (4yrs)
  • 2 weeks later...

From what I understand, the UV absorbers are different in films that are meant for exterior applications compared to films that are meant for interior. If installing an exterior film, it would probably be to your best interest to apply a sealant around the perimeter of the film to help prevent it from wanting to curl. 

Funny, I just got a call about one like this today. I'm thinking I will have to layer as Rock and Ultra suggested because all exterior films were "too shiny" for their tastes.

:dunno Will be interesting, will chime back with what was done if they bite on it. :thumb

Well after exploring all their MANY options they decided to go with the layered approach. 5% auto + 4 mil AG. No warranty but they were very happy with the final result. :thumb

That's awesome TE! Job looks great. Now you have yet another way to solve your customers problems. And the great thing is, double the sq/ft....

.... would you like fries with that?

[emoji3] [emoji106]

From what I understand, the UV absorbers are different in films that are meant for exterior applications compared to films that are meant for interior. If installing an exterior film, it would probably be to your best interest to apply a sealant around the perimeter of the film to help prevent it from wanting to curl.

I think your understanding is correct. :thumb

I was able to obtain the original glass order with sizes. Film was cut 1/4" shorter then glass on all edges, rubbers were removed and a flat bead of 795 was used to seal the film to glass then reinstalled gaskets. They will be a little tough coming out when it's time for replacement, but those suckers are sealed. :thumb

Archived