QDP color change

Guest GreenCove

Guest GreenCove

Does anyone know why QDP is changing the color of there film and why it's only certain shades? I have QDP 20/5 on my car that's been on there for about 4yrs, still has nice black look to it no matter if it's in direct sun or in the shade. Now if you look at the new 5% in direct sunlight on most cars it looks blue while the 35% still has the old color. It seems the 35 and 20% are the same while the 15 and 5% have a different color which to me looks good in the shade but when the sun hits it looks blue. I think that QDP is an awesome film that is very strong and easy to work with and seems to hold up very well, just curious on why the color change?

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Does anyone know why QDP is changing the color of there film and why it's only certain shades?

Hi Murray,

Yes.  This one I do know the answer to:

There was a color change announced by the factory to the distributors in Q3-2013.  The purpose was twofold (as it was explained to us).  Firstly, they wanted to better "harmonize" the entire VLT range so the films would look closer to each other in tone.  Second, it was done to incorporate the latest generation pigments.

The factory sent the domestic distributors samples in advance and the consensus was that the change was very subtle and entirely acceptable. Very few customers remarked that they even saw any difference (hence Ryker's post above). 

QDP is a blockbuster success for Global/Garware/EWF and the entire Global distribution team in the USA.  I can assure you that they are not going to make any changes to that product which would in any way diminish it, harm it, or detract from it.  If they make a change, it will only be to improve it.  As you read this - no further changes or pending or contemplated as far as I know.

I give you guys my word:  If I hear anything - I will alert the entire TD community so there is no guessing or ambiguity.  Another reason to frequent these boards.

Regards,

Howard

Guest GreenCove

Thanks Howard, Ryker was referring to the HP did they change the HP color also? Do you know if they are changing all of the VLT's because if you put the 35 and the 15 or 5 on the same vehicle it's very noticeable to me that the color is different especially from the inside looking out.

Hi Murray,

QDP and CHP both incorporate the same dyed base film.  Any changes they make will impact both.

Interesting that you mention the 15%.  The product lineup offered to EWF by the factory is as follows:

QDP:  05/20/30/40/50

CHP:  05/10/20/30/40/45/50

I have heard the 15% mentioned on these boards and I had a discussion on the phone today with a board member about the 15%.  I am always honest with you guys and I have to admit - I do not know what that exactly is.  It is not something that we have been routinely offered by the factory.

The Global Distributors are planning to consolidate all of our orders for the November production run and if there is enough collective demand for QDP 15% (or even CHP 15%) the factory will produce it for us.  The only stipulation is that we meet their MOQ and it remains to be seen whether or not we will be able to.  If we do come to an agreement, November production will ship in early December and reach the port during the 3rd week of Jan 2015.  It takes about another week for the containers to clear customs and arrive at the distribution centers.  Figure sometime around Feb 01, 2015 or a bit earlier.

On the 5% - that film is typically made with a higher density metal and whenever you use that, you add a very distinctive blue tone to the film.  The 5% is always the hardest one to fit "into the family" but the other films in the series (as listed above) should be close in color and tone.  Let me know if you are observing something different.  On that 15% - please check with the distributor you purchased it from.  They probably know something I do not.  It should be very close in tone to the 20%.

Thanks,

Howard

I got a few rolls from Richard at Solar Control before they ran out and the QDP 15 was popular. I've been trying to fill that void since with Llumar ATC15 and Classic Black 15. I don't buy 50 rolls a week in film, but Id add the QDP15 it back to the line in a second.

Hi MobileTint Inc,

It was great speaking with you as always the other day and I know we touched upon the QDP15.  Phillip (Richard's brother) sent me an email the other day to let me know they want to coordinate the November production order with the entire Global USA distribution team.  If Richard has demand for it and Phillip does as well, there is a very good chance it will become a regular stocking item for us.  The factory will happily produce it as long as we meet the MOQ.

-Howard

Archived