The trouble with....

It's becoming very clear to me that with the advent of a huge usage increase of one particular brand of solar film make that quotes for this product are then based on the cheapest cost to get it to the glass.

I'm referring particularly to a commerce quote I did a few days ago where of the quotes submitted already, 3 were for the same product.

My price was double that of the other 2 and that's fair enough as the others were living in 70-80's pricing but it got me thinking that in order to try and get this on my own, I'd better look at something others don't sell or are not approved to sell.

For me I don't really care as I have more than enough sales pouring out of my ears, but it is disheartening to be asked....'

"you sure you measured up correctly?"

More power to the Ultra/3M/VKool/Huper/Vista/Panorama alternatives hey?

Your thoughts.

Devil

You hit the nail on the head Dev.

Offer a different alternative and know your competitors product as well as you know your own, only then can you explain why your alternative is superior.

It's funny, quite often my customers don't get a second quote and when they do, I am hardly ever the cheapest...but I don't miss many. People don't want cheap, they want a solution to their problems, their house to look better and perceived value for money.

But I think I'm preaching to the choir here.

Offer a different alternative and know your competitors product as well as you know your own, only then can you explain why your alternative is superior.

It's funny, quite often my customers don't get a second quote and when they do, I am hardly ever the cheapest...but I don't miss many. People don't want cheap, they want a solution to their problems, their house to look better and perceived value for money.

Spot on Daz, our local "low ballers" can't ever come close to what we offer in our workmanship and products...

Spot on Daz, our local "low ballers" can't ever come close to what we offer in our workmanship and products...

I just can't get my head around a low baller mentality jj. Unless of course you are no damn good at what you do, so you've gotta be cheap.

I have been experimenting with prices lately, edging them up and so far I haven't found a ceiling to it. As long as your film spec for the circumstance is spot on, your presentation and workmanship is spot on, then the film alternative to blinds etc always represents good value.

Why do you have to price so damn low that you make your business virtually unsustainable?

A good majority of my business is for repeat commercial and residential customers. Most of them never talk about price to their friends, it is always the service , workmanship and the time we take to spec the correct film for their needs.

Not blowing my own trumpet, just a fact.

I just can't get my head around a low baller mentality jj. Unless of course you are no damn good at what you do, so you've gotta be cheap.

I have been experimenting with prices lately, edging them up and so far I haven't found a ceiling to it. As long as your film spec for the circumstance is spot on, your presentation and workmanship is spot on, then the film alternative to blinds etc always represents good value.

Why do you have to price so damn low that you make your business virtually unsustainable?

A good majority of my business is for repeat commercial and residential customers. Most of them never talk about price to their friends, it is always the service , workmanship and the time we take to spec the correct film for their needs.

Same here Daz, our pricing never goes south always north! I think it's a lack of business savvy, confidence in ability and perceived rejection from price. They way you present yourself, product knowledge and branding helps a lot with a potential customer too hey. Look at dev's model in an extremely competitive part of the world! He is the one driving the Ferrari the others in their daihatsu charades ??

Completely agree with you Rocky, I run my business much the same..... I also know I am never the cheapest, but I am generally busy, busy, busy :D

I've often thought that part of the problem is that too many tinters are afraid to quote higher.

Completely agree with you Rocky, I run my business much the same..... I also know I am never the cheapest, but I am generally busy, busy, busy :D

I've often thought that part of the problem is that too many tinters are afraid to quote higher.

X2

:D

Having started my first Company at the age of 18, I was blind to the thought that if it was getting $180 per car, then I just thought.. Well.. Let's times that by how many I can tint in a day, and how many days, etc.. etc... Blah.. Blahh.. That was total crap!!!

I quickly realized that I was working crazy hours and not doing the volume I wanted because I was taking far longer than anyone else.. And the figures were not adding up.

I wanted to offer great value for money and the best job to all of my customers.. However, what good is my service if I run myself out of business?

Today I charged 4 times more than someone not too far away from me, and the customer was sooo happy that they said that they would be telling everyone they can about my service and products.

I, like everyone want value for money, but I know there is value in quality and service, and so that is my focus and I do not care what my opposition charges.

I run a quality business, I work hard, and I try my very best everyday.. Why shouldn't I have the opportunity do be successful?

I am no good to anyone if I am bankrupt.

I want to create that opportunity for all quality focused tinters, and 1 day I will be able to deliver it.

Archived