ISIS in Ausie

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As a gun owner I believe the right to bear arms is quickly forgotten by the many who posses them.  I had to only pull my weapon once on my property many years ago.  However, I can go to any gun show and buy any firearm from private sellers, no questions asked, never to see the vendor again.  Very easy for criminals to get a piece as well.  I have known many with criminal records that have guns.  I was given a very HARD TIME with mine once I got a DUI in my younger years, had to fight my right all the way to the courts. 

Today, after two kids I own nothing, and trust me - is the best decision I have made, no worries about my kids getting to them etc...   we have been thinking to get another since my wife has shown interest... but this time around I am going full blown AR-15.

Anyway, I believe on the right to defend yourself at any costs, but not fully comfortable to bear arms irresponsibly.   You feel me???

Although there are many differing opinions, I see nothing but valid points in the previous posts.

From the Aussies, a strong anti-gun stance. To me, that shows that we are so accustomed and comfortable with the our gun free culture that we can't image it being any other way.

From the Americans, an acknowledgement of and embracement of the right to bear arms. Once again a reflection of the culture you live in.

Does that mean either country is right or wrong? No, just different. Each country has its own share of problems regardless of, and sometimes in light of their culture.

To be fair, I completely understand where TJ is coming from and to some degree agree with him. But then over the years we've had plenty of gun discussions here and I have always known TJ to be level headed and factual in these discussions. I also have to say that Mothhop, throwing up four year old statistics is not a true reflection of either of our societies today. You can't deny that in the last two years gun crime has been on the increase here.

Does any of this mean that I wish to own a gun? No. I'm old enough to remember some of the worst massacres here and I have no wish to make it easier for those with ill intent to possess them. That being said, I still believe that if someone wants one badly enough they will find a way to get one.

As for ISIS, I wouldn't say it's a 'hardly a problem', 'lot's of fear mongering', yes, but ISIS is a reality. They've discovered a faction here and you can bet, that there are factions all over the world. The world we live in today makes it far too easy for that to be anything but true. The sad thing is that so many innocents will suffer from this, Muslim, Christian or whatever they are still innocents. :twocents

As a gun owner I believe the right to bear arms is quickly forgotten by the many who posses them.  I had to only pull my weapon once on my property many years ago.  However, I can go to any gun show and buy any firearm from private sellers, no questions asked, never to see the vendor again.  Very easy for criminals to get a piece as well.  I have known many with criminal records that have guns.  I was given a very HARD TIME with mine once I got a DUI in my younger years, had to fight my right all the way to the courts. 

Today, after two kids I own nothing, and trust me - is the best decision I have made, no worries about my kids getting to them etc...   we have been thinking to get another since my wife has shown interest... but this time around I am going full blown AR-15.

Anyway, I believe on the right to defend yourself at any costs, but not fully comfortable to bear arms irresponsibly.   You feel me???

My kids are boys, 6 and 10.  Both have shot rifles, revolvers, semi auto handguns, bb, and pellet guns.  Think the curiosity is out of them?

My dad did the same with my sister and I.  We knew what they did, never played with his guns.  Its education.

I also can see both sides of the gun argument. But just hoping the bad guys won't have a gun or knife and want to deal with me one on one with knuckles...is a pipe dream at best. Here in the US we are over run with undesirables who get weapons in order to commit crimes every day. Those people do not acquire them legally and never will...they are criminals. Our country has passed the point of critical mass and the ones who choose not to protect themselves and family are more of a target than those who do. That said, I hope the Aussie intelligence and armed forces have a handle on the threat that has developed.

All conflicts in history have developed because of religion or money. It is sickening .

Mothhop, throwing up four year old statistics is not a true reflection of either of our societies today.

It's not like I did more than a small google search, 630 in the morning that's all I care to muster, it was simply to make a point.

I don't disagree with the ''right to bear arms' I disagree with the potential anyone can get a hold of them. If (as TJ puts it) the bad guys want a gun, they will get it through any avenue, but for an average joe who has become scared through faux news because 'terrorists are come to kill you' wants a gun, they can, an uneducated person with a gun is just as bad a 'bad guy'.

I don't disagree with the ''right to bear arms' I disagree with the potential anyone can get a hold of them. If (as TJ puts it) the bad guys want a gun, they will get it through any avenue, but for an average joe who has become scared through faux news because 'terrorists are come to kill you' wants a gun, they can, an uneducated person with a gun is just as bad a 'bad guy'.

I agree totally Mothhop. :thumb

Mothhop, throwing up four year old statistics is not a true reflection of either of our societies today.

It's not like I did more than a small google search, 630 in the morning that's all I care to muster, it was simply to make a point.

I agree with you here, with exception to be threatened by terrorists (depending on how one views terrorism), as that is furthest from my decision to be armed.  The reason, the sole reason, why any country has brought up gun control is bc some ass clown gunned down 6 year olds in a school, or slaughtered multiple people in an office, or out on the street.  The answer has been, take away the guns, thus less gun crimes.  Well, that isn't sound advice, as criminals will find a way, regardless if they can't obtain a gun.  With that in mind, whats the next choice?  A knife, or could be a bow (or even a crossbow).  The criminals are just replacing what isn't available to what is.

So given my original analogy, where does it end?  Its a fact that gun crimes has fallen in AUS since the "ban", but knife crimes has skyrocketed.  So now what?  A ban on knives larger than 4" in length?  I mean, come on!  The problem of crime will never be solved bc there are people out there who will commit crimes that result in death...always.  

As an honest gun owner, I would never consider putting a bullet into someone unless my life, my family, or my home is threatened.  

If you look at the city of Chicago, everyday people are murdered at the hands of someone pulling a trigger of a gun.  These thugs have guns, where the public cannot have them.  

Bad people will ALWAYS find a way to obtain a weapon, banned or not.

I also can see both sides of the gun argument. But just hoping the bad guys won't have a gun or knife and want to deal with me one on one with knuckles...is a pipe dream at best. Here in the US we are over run with undesirables who get weapons in order to commit crimes every day. Those people do not acquire them legally and never will...they are criminals. Our country has passed the point of critical mass and the ones who choose not to protect themselves and family are more of a target than those who do. That said, I hope the Aussie intelligence and armed forces have a handle on the threat that has developed.

All conflicts in history have developed because of religion or money. It is sickening .

I agree thoroughly with you Tom

so far the authorities seem to be very aware of their movements

http://www.thewire.com/global/2014/09/isis-supporters-arrested-for-beheading-plot-in-australia/380416/

Still very scary stuff these extremists, and to be honest, I don't think it would matter what your stance on gun control would be if they just strike at random.  The whole world became brutally aware of that one. Intelligence and vigilance are the only answer.

Archived