• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh. Is it RPG or fps?

I'm not entirely sure... 

It is a player-driven, persistent-world MMORPG set in a science fiction space setting. Characters pilot customizable ships through a galaxy of over 7,500 star systems. Most star systems are connected to one or more other star systems by means of stargates. The star systems can contain moons, planets, stations, wormholes, asteroid belts and complexes.

Players of Eve Online can participate in a number of in-game professions and activities, including mining, piracy, manufacturing, trading, exploration, and combat (both player versus environment and player versus player). The character advancement system is based upon training skills in real time, even while not logged into the game.

Eve Online was released in North America and Europe in May 2003. It was published from May to December 2003 by Simon & Schuster Interactive,[4] after which CCP purchased the rights and began to self-publish via a digital distribution scheme. On January 22, 2008, it was announced that Eve Online would be distributed via Steam. On March 10, 2009, the game was again made available in boxed form in stores, released by Atari. In February 2013, EVE Online reached over 500,000 subscribers. The current version of Eve Online is Hyperion, released August 26, 2014.

THIS is what just blows my mind as far as the scale of the game.... and if I had the time to learn how to play and hook up with various factions, I probably would.  (This happened back on Jan 27 & 28, 2014)

The Bloodbath of B-R5RB or Battle of B-R5RB was a massive-scale virtual battle fought in the MMORPG space game EVE Online, and was possibly the largest player versus player battle ever. Pitting the Clusterfuck Coalition and Russian alliances (CFC/Rus) against N3 and Pandemic Legion (N3/PL), the 21 hour long conflict involved over 7,548 player characters overall and a maximum of 2,670 players in the B-R5RB system at one time. The in-game cost of the losses totalled over 11 trillion InterStellar Kredit (ISK), a theoretical real-world value of $300,000 to $330,000 USD. This theoretical value is derived from time cards which are purchasable for real currency and can be converted into a trade-able item in the game.

Part of a larger conflict known as the Halloween War, the fight started after a single player controlling a space station in the star system B-R5RB accidentally failed to make a scheduled in-game routine maintenance payment which made the system (a key staging area used by N3/PL in the war) highly vulnerable to capture. The CFC and Russian coalitions began pouring players into the system in a swift offensive, and N3/PL moved in a large fleet of players as a response as well. A massive battle erupted in the system and numerous smaller engagements occurred throughout the game universe as players attempted to block reinforcements from joining the battle. CFC/Rus gained a clear win by inflicting heavy losses on N3/PL and successfully capturing B-R5RB. The losses totalled 576 Capital class ships including 75 Titans (the largest ships available to players), along with thousands of smaller vessels.

To commemorate the sheer size and cost of the battle, the game's creators, CCP Games, erected a permanent monument in the system B-R5RB named "The Titanomachy", consisting of non-salvageable capital ship wrecks.

Yeah... it was crazy from what I was reading when it was actually going on. It was one of those thing - the guy forgot to pay the fee to keep the station, which someone noticed... and they passed the word along to another player, and another, and it just became this HUGE battle with thousands of players involved. 

Crazy cool stuff.... 

They just arent like they used to be. Have you played xcom. Its a good turnbased game.

No I never have. I don't pay much attention to games other than a few fps ones. I've been into call of duty over the last few years. But I haven't even played that since the beginning of the year. Have had a tough time finding time to play with the birth of our second child and the busy summer work scheduled. I'll probably renew my live account now that things will be slowing down a bit.

Archived