Blacking out double pane windows?

Guest cjtd

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Masks? Tried 'em. Too uncomfortable. Drugs? Probably not a good idea. Foil? I'd actually be open to that idea, if you're serious.

My biggest concern is that whatever I try will break the dual pane seal. In your unofficial scentific opinion, would a layer of white opaque facing the sun on either the outside or inside of the window with a layer of black opaque behind it break the window? Since it's all about heat building up between the panes, wouldn't white reflect enough of it? Some of the light would get through and hit the black layer, but would it would be enough to cause damage? Can someone test this for me who finds this sort of thing fun?

My biggest concern is that whatever I try will break the dual pane seal. In your unofficial scentific opinion, would a layer of white opaque facing the sun on either the outside or inside of the window with a layer of black opaque behind it break the window? Since it's all about heat building up between the panes, wouldn't white reflect enough of it? Some of the light would get through and hit the black layer, but would it would be enough to cause damage? Can someone test this for me who finds this sort of thing fun?

Still wondering about this. That's cool if noone can tell me for sure. :dunno

Still wondering about this. That's cool if noone can tell me for sure. :dunno

You would be fine with either of the films Tom and I had suggested depending on your glass, however if you still have concerns you could install the film I had suggested on the outside with the white side out and with black adhesive side on the glass. 

I used it on this job.

gggggggg.jpg

1118111452a.jpg

Inside view.

1130111446-2.jpg

The seals can break even without film being installed. If you are not concerned about how the window appears, I would just install one layer of blackout on the outside of the window and seal it with a black silicone bead and be done with it. 

The seals can break even without film being installed. If you are not concerned about how the window appears, I would just install one layer of blackout on the outside of the window and seal it with a black silicone bead and be done with it.

thank you!

You just want your silicone sealant to be non acetic or 'neutral cure' of the appropriate colour.

Most roof and gutter sealants and kitchen and bathroom sealants will come in a non acetic option.

You want a caulking gun and a tube of the silicone to suit. :thumb

Archived