XPEL Moves Out of Texas.

I also noticed that Xpel Atlanta is using Adwords to attract installations. The ad does not direct anyone to Xpel.cxm. They are directed to Xpelatlanta.cxm where installations are pushed more so than for brand recognition. On the home page it says inside a big yellow box, 'Schedule Your Installation Appointment Today'. This is directly and intentionally competing with local installers.

What Xpel's officially saying is diametrically opposed to what they are doing in Atlanta. Is this how things are in Texas for installers?

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When I found out xpel had set up the retail store a half mile from my shop, I was pretty upset.  Not because they were there, but because they didn't extend the simple courtesy of a phone call letting me know what was going on.  Heck I would have given them at least a dozen dealerships complete with general, finance, and accessory managers names, phone numbers, and price points.  They could have walked right in and had twenty installs the next day had that been the case.  I've got nearly 15 years of intel in the Atlanta market yet kept out of the loop and gone behind my back.  What did I do to deserve that?

My biggest fear isn't losing market share, there are sooo many cars out there to film its like complaining someone took a bucket of sand home from the beach.  It's Xpel deciding to shut off my access to the DAP.  I'm very, very, VERY stressed out I will come in one morning and find I'm unable to cut film.  I feel extremely unappreciated and terribly unsure of what to do other than to carry on as usual and take things one day at a time.

Speed,

I think there are many other users of software that feel the same way.  This topic can easily become a new thread on its own.  What I will say is that the industry is changing and that there are more and more options out there that fit installers needs. 

Thank you,

Todd Bergman

Interwest Distribution

3M Authorized Distributor & Training Facility

Guest XPEL Tim

Jean-Claude, all of our stores use the same pricing model to quote installations and all are based off of the Suggested Retail Price + labor.  If a car was quoted at $1300 for a full front, it would have been something with a very short hood like a Civic or something.   I asked Kevin about the Aston you mention and he said he hasn’t quoted an Aston Martin at all since we acquired his store.   Maybe this is from when he was still independent?

While moving on to some of the other points, let’s keep a few things in perspective here: 

1)   You are not currently a customer of ours.  What protection or cooperation were you expecting us to provide you while you sell only our competitors products? 

2)   You say we have moved next door but according to your address, you are nearly an hour away from our center (53 minutes according to Google)

3)   Right now there are only two installation centers in the entire metro Atlanta area of over 5 million people that offer XPEL film.   One is constantly booked 2 to 3 weeks out and the other we bought.

We began working on expanding our presence in Atlanta back in March of 2013 by visiting with the known installers spread out all over the area (including Speedfilm and Jean-Claude) and working to bring them into the XPEL family.  You guys passed, and we still had a ton of consumers asking for XPEL film that couldn’t get it.

As it stands today, our store is still servicing the same dealer accounts it had before we acquired it while Kevin works to establish XPEL partners around the metro area to handle the increased volume as we ramp up.  The guys we are working with right now to become new XPEL dealers are extremely excited to get started and help grow the market.  As such, they will receive a lot of our attention in the way of referrals, leads and advertising dollars to build them up.  It’s kind of hard to compare that to someone who is still sitting in the competitor’s camp.

One last thing you guys should understand…Kevin (like all of our area managers) is paid on the growth of XPEL product sales in his area...not the just the sales.  If the market doesn’t continue to grow month after month year after year, he gets no commission.  The commission is no different whether the XPEL store sells more or the independent installers do.  So consider the following:

1)   There is only so much business that can be crammed into one store

2)   There is already more business in the immediate area than we can possibly handle (I believe Speed made the same point).

3)   We consider having our installers sit behind the wheel driving to be unproductive and inefficient (i.e. we are not interested in driving all over the metro area to pick up and deliver cars). 

4)   We are also not interested in doing mobile installations for the same reason as number 3 among other things.

5)   Because of numbers 3 and 4, our target customer for the XPEL store is within a 5-mile radius.

6)   Because of 1 through 5, if Kevin is to continue to earn commissions, he must grow the independent installer base.  The best way to do that is to help them get accounts and to help them get efficient. 

7)   If the independent installer is full and efficient they are making every dollar they can.

Jean-Claude, all of our stores use the same pricing model to quote installations and all are based off of the Suggested Retail Price + labor.  If a car was quoted at $1300 for a full front, it would have been something with a very short hood like a Civic or something.   I asked Kevin about the Aston you mention and he said he hasn’t quoted an Aston Martin at all since we acquired his store.   Maybe this is from when he was still independent?

While moving on to some of the other points, let’s keep a few things in perspective here: 

1)   You are not currently a customer of ours.  What protection or cooperation were you expecting us to provide you while you sell only our competitors products? 

2)   You say we have moved next door but according to your address, you are nearly an hour away from our center (53 minutes according to Google)

3)   Right now there are only two installation centers in the entire metro Atlanta area of over 5 million people that offer XPEL film.   One is constantly booked 2 to 3 weeks out and the other we bought.

We began working on expanding our presence in Atlanta back in March of 2013 by visiting with the known installers spread out all over the area (including Speedfilm and Jean-Claude) and working to bring them into the XPEL family.  You guys passed, and we still had a ton of consumers asking for XPEL film that couldn’t get it.

As it stands today, our store is still servicing the same dealer accounts it had before we acquired it while Kevin works to establish XPEL partners around the metro area to handle the increased volume as we ramp up.  The guys we are working with right now to become new XPEL dealers are extremely excited to get started and help grow the market.  As such, they will receive a lot of our attention in the way of referrals, leads and advertising dollars to build them up.  It’s kind of hard to compare that to someone who is still sitting in the competitor’s camp.

One last thing you guys should understand…Kevin (like all of our area managers) is paid on the growth of XPEL product sales in his area...not the just the sales.  If the market doesn’t continue to grow month after month year after year, he gets no commission.  The commission is no different whether the XPEL store sells more or the independent installers do.  So consider the following:

1)   There is only so much business that can be crammed into one store

2)   There is already more business in the immediate area than we can possibly handle (I believe Speed made the same point).

3)   We consider having our installers sit behind the wheel driving to be unproductive and inefficient (i.e. we are not interested in driving all over the metro area to pick up and deliver cars). 

4)   We are also not interested in doing mobile installations for the same reason as number 3 among other things.

5)   Because of numbers 3 and 4, our target customer for the XPEL store is within a 5-mile radius.

6)   Because of 1 through 5, if Kevin is to continue to earn commissions, he must grow the independent installer base.  The best way to do that is to help them get accounts and to help them get efficient. 

7)   If the independent installer is full and efficient they are making every dollar they can.

Tim,

First of all, I appreciate the professional response. And I mean to carry the same feeling with my responses. But, honestly, some things are not aligning for me.

I was never visited by Xpel or received a call as far as I can remember from anyone in regards to doing more Xpel work. If I had, you guys would probably have had another regular installer as my hang ups on Xpel have been relatively minor and nothing that could not be addressed if Xpel wanted my business. 

It is not impossible that I heard Kevin wrong. But it was he that told me that he/Xpel was installing front ends for $1300 and another price(which I will leave undisclosed) for dealership work. It's very unlikely, but not impossible I am wrong about that. But they were not interested in even having clear bra installed until the day I met Kevin at a local car event. I was the one who educated and sold them the idea and they did the owner-thing and shopped around.

I can't speak as to what Kevin himself has seen/experienced. After spending a few hours with him, I really believe Kevin to be an honorable person and I do like him. Maybe he did not give a quote for the AM, maybe it was another person at the location? Maybe the customer fabricated the quote? But I know this. I saw what appeared to be an official Xpel quote in the car after the customer decided to go with us. It was not laid out on display. It just so happened to show itself as we navigated the interior through the project.

We are not currently promoting Xpel products and I understand that you guys must do as you need to. My sentiments are that competing with my shop does not make me feel good. It does not inspire me to support Xpel. The market in Atlanta is not one that people refuse to drive to have $1k+ work done in. I give quotes on jobs that Derek, David(both over a hour away) and others do. Kevin was at a car event I sponsor handing out brochures and there's nothing wrong with that. But it's impossible to believe that Xpel is not competing with me given everything I have experienced first hand.

As I mentioned, I told Kevin I would install Xpel on any project he sent my way. That's a great opportunity to earn someone's longterm business. Shoot, sending business may be the number one way to earn someone's trust. It would tell them that you guys are genuinely interested in growing the brand and not competing for the same installs. That would build confidence. That was more than a few weeks ago. Where I have sent work your way, it has not been sent my way. Where are all these people that have no one to install Xpel film? It appears that what is expected before you 'earn my business' is that I need to take the first step drop thousands of dollars, on film that we have no demand for at this time. Versus, what makes sense to me and drop the coin when there's a demand/job there to pay for it. I told Xpel the keys to earning my business and yet no steps were taken. I could be installing Xpel film instead of Suntek right now. 

I've been looking for a reason to switch to Xpel but you guys have not made a good argument for it. As it stands you guys are competing with me, not trying to earn my business and have not acted on sending Xpel jobs our way(again cool, whatever. But it has it's own value). I agree that there is plenty of business in this market to go around. But come on.... do something that inspires me to support you. I ask nothing more of Xpel than I ask my clients to expect of me when I earn their business.

With all that said, I still do not hate Xpel and I still think Kevin is a swell guy. The door is still open.

Not sure I want to get involved here but hey here is my point of view on it all :lol

I went into business with values also which were quickly thrown out the window as business is cut throat and if you stick to values you either let everything bother you or you get burnt....

I do find it crazy that if Xpel wants to move into Installing that they should do it in some remote region that has no one nearby. It should not market its installations through web, pamphlets etc like any business would.

Personally I believe if you have a good web presence that shows the quality of work you do with the type of cars you do then why wouldn't a customer choose you? I hear and see the type of cars you guys do on here and if your online presence was good enough to show all that then there is nothing to fear.

It also seems that people forget that even with other Companies, they sell the product direct to your competitors daily. Sure it may not be the actually company doing the install but they are in effect helping your competitors compete with you all year round, so it seems the issue is that its the name on the building that is doing the install not the fact another shop has opened around the corner. Would it be an issue if the facility opened its doors with a completely different name and they use Xpel? My guess is yes if they had quality installers and a better online presence. My guess is no if they don't do as good a job as you and you have a better online presence....

Just my 2c....

I'm not in the PPF business. However I have been in the window film business for almost 30 years. My opinion is that you are either a dealer or a distributor. The two should not be under one roof. If you as a dealer have to buy material from the very same people who offer the same service to the end user, they have a price advantage over you that can only be classified as unfair. Window film mfrs had distributors that were also in the business of installing and selling against other local dealers. This too is unethical. It may also be illegal in some states if not nationally. ( possible anti trust conflict ). If you find yourself in this situation with a supplier, the best thing you can do is speak with your wallet and take your business elsewhere.

I do agree to some extent. I guess I just find it odd how other competitors buy product from them also. This means they are in effect helping your competitors, but this isn't considered a problem.

To me either installing nearby or helping competitors both have the same outcome. It is how you as a business owner position yourself to ensure customers knock on your door.

I do agree to some extent. I guess I just find it odd how other competitors buy product from them also. This means they are in effect helping your competitors, but this isn't considered a problem.

To me either installing nearby or helping competitors both have the same outcome. It is how you as a business owner position yourself to ensure customers knock on your door.

Just my thoughts:

A competitor installing xpel film vs xpel installing to compete is a big difference.

From my experience in businesses. Connections is more important then quality. 

Xpel is a nation wide business with vast connections with other top brands (ex. dealers). 

Yes, to a joe blow customer xpel vs another installer is the same. But to all the high end accounts (dealers) in your region. Xpel has a clear advantage.

P.S. I wish I knew Xpel sold stock a year ago. If I put $10k I would have $150k if my math is right lol ;)

agreed and that's what is unclear whether that is happening or not, from Xpels response that was not the intent behind it all and is not what s happening.

Same and now im too hesitant to pull the trigger on buying shares at $3 lol. Probably kick myself it it rises the same amount.

agreed and that's what is unclear whether that is happening or not, from Xpels response that was not the intent behind it all and is not what s happening.

Same and now im too hesitant to pull the trigger on buying shares at $3 lol. Probably kick myself it it rises the same amount.

Its been proven there is a lack of integrity on that end by what has happened over the last couple of years. I understand you are a huge fan of Xpel but you aren't having to compete with them. You are in Australia after all and in all fairness do not have any competition down there as it is a new market.  If Xpel wanted to truly grow the market in an area they would promote the installers pushing their film. Instead installers who have been pushing their film are now finding the company they were promoting as a competitor. I do not know of another film company out there that does this... at least I haven't heard of it. And it is a clear advantage for Xpel in a market over installers using Xpel film as most dealerships and clients would go directly to the company that warranties their product. Why use a "middle man" for an installer? Just as stated above they are promoting their installation store area wide... obviously. According to Tim the guy is over an hour away from his shop (his own words) yet he can still google clear bra and Xpel's new store pops up. I am very familiar with Adwords and if Xpel only wanted to advertise their store within a 5 mile radius its very easy to set up that way. Instead they are pushing their install shop area wide... which obviously means someone is lying right off the bat.

My question is why doesn't Xpel make their own film? Who developed the self healing top coat that they promote? Rumor has it isn't Xpel... but I would like to see someone from Xpel put it all in writing. I for one am very happy this thread started it. I get too many phone calls from people all over pushing me to just come out and say it as I tend to say it just as it is. I don't sugar coat anything... wasn't raise that way and didn't even do that in my military career... which wasn't pleasant all the time. But this all needs to be in writing in the open so that two years down the road people can reflect back at this and see how the situation changed and how some companies don't honor their words.

Archived