XPEL Moves Out of Texas.

Its been proven there is a lack of integrity on that end by what has happened over the last couple of years. I understand you are a huge fan of Xpel but you aren't having to compete with them. You are in Australia after all and in all fairness do not have any competition down there as it is a new market.  

No, but i have to compete with those that have been using 3M for years that have established a customer/dealership base. Although Xpel is fairly new here PPF is not. I can tell u in the vinyl game i do compete with places that are getting better discounts from manufacturers than me. this means they can undercut me. I used to get angry at the companies as they dont care about the little guy but i realise it is business. They are directly affecting my chances of getting the customer, sure different to opening their own shop but still the same outcome.

was just putting a different spin on it, would i be annoyed if Xpel opened here installing, probably but depends on how much i have been able to build up my name and image when it happened. I guess what i am getting at is i have seen the work guys do on here on the threads and the high class cars they get, if this image was also portrayed to the customer i dont see them having a problem competing in a market where there seems to be enough people wanting PPF.

As for a fan of Xpel, definitely but i would have had the same thing to say if it was about Suntek, 3M, vinyl or TV's. Always good to hear a different point of view, whether you think its cr@p point of view is another story lol  :thumb

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My question is why doesn't Xpel make their own film? Who developed the self healing top coat that they promote? Rumor has it isn't Xpel... but I would like to see someone from Xpel put it all in writing. I for one am very happy this thread started it. I get too many phone calls from people all over pushing me to just come out and say it as I tend to say it just as it is. I don't sugar coat anything... wasn't raise that way and didn't even do that in my military career... which wasn't pleasant all the time. But this all needs to be in writing in the open so that two years down the road people can reflect back at this and see how the situation changed and how some companies don't honor their words.

These first two questions have been brought up a few times, but with no response.  I would be curious too as to what the answer is.  Even though Tom doesn't do PPF he is right. It's not the first time this has happened, but it does raise a number of ethics into question.

HI JC,

Thank you for your response.  Given time, I think you will start to see more jobs being referred throughout the market, once we have been able to establish a presence (advertsing, reputation, etc).  It took quite a few months for anything to start working out in Houston.  Heck, right now our shop isn't even at capacity.  However, when these referrals start happening, keep in mind that onsie-twosie referral jobs will likely be sent to people that stock XPEL film.  In your case, it may be different though, since you are so far south, it may make a lot more sense.  I think it would especially make sense if we got a hot lead on a dealership in your neck of the woods to send it your way.  When it is all said and done, we are all about being loyal to those who show loyalty to us.

Other food for thought:  If XPEL sells a handful of rolls into Atlanta, a market that is greatly underpenetrated, and ends up making a couple hundred bucks, that's great.  But consider the opportunities here.  If XPEL is able to develop an install shop that does not harm existing XPEL film users in any way, but allows for the additional revenue to support things like television advertising in that market, it could be a game-changer in terms of inreasing awareness and volume for the market as a whole.  Sure, we're gong to promote our brand of film, but logic would tell you that exposing hundreds of thousands of people to ppf isn't bad for anyone.

I was riding around with a window tinter not long ago and we drove past a billboard that his competitors had on the interstate.  When I asked if that got under his skin, he replied, "Not at all.  I love it.  That's free advertising for me and that many more people looking up our industry on Google."  I think the same could be true here.  If the ROI of such advertising is a success, it could open the door for advertising in the other markets where we do not have a presence.  

The problem with this industry is that (in most markets), the installers are largely all fighting over the same few high end dealerships and the penetration is well below 1% of the total new cars sold in the area.  Atlanta's case is unique, in the sense that there are about one tenth of the installers compared to markets like San Francisco or LA, and the installers that are there all pretty much have their own dealership accounts that keep them booked out (David with Porsche, Derek with Ferrari, etc.).  If we can grow the market penetration to just 5% of the new cars sold (which isn't unreasonable), there is going to be so much work that everyone would be scrambling to eep up with demand. Just imagine if you had five times the business.  

I've seen all of the posts of Lambos and Ferrari's and I'm happy that our industry is pleasing a niche market segment, but the day that I'll really sit back and smile is when ppf is a household term and people are posting pictures of Toyotas and Fords getting installed.  

I'm not in the PPF business. However I have been in the window film business for almost 30 years. My opinion is that you are either a dealer or a distributor. The two should not be under one roof. If you as a dealer have to buy material from the very same people who offer the same service to the end user, they have a price advantage over you that can only be classified as unfair. Window film mfrs had distributors that were also in the business of installing and selling against other local dealers. This too is unethical. It may also be illegal in some states if not nationally. ( possible anti trust conflict ). If you find yourself in this situation with a supplier, the best thing you can do is speak with your wallet and take your business elsewhere.

As I posted earlier, our shops do not have a price advantage as XPEL corporate charges them for film, just as they would any other install shop.

The other difference, is that you are forgetting that we are not competing against XPEL installers here.  None of the people posting here use XPEL film.  We help XPEL film users GAIN business in these markets.  I'm not sure why someone would want to walk away from an opportunity to have a resource like that.

I do agree to some extent. I guess I just find it odd how other competitors buy product from them also. This means they are in effect helping your competitors, but this isn't considered a problem.

To me either installing nearby or helping competitors both have the same outcome. It is how you as a business owner position yourself to ensure customers knock on your door.

Just my thoughts:

A competitor installing xpel film vs xpel installing to compete is a big difference.

From my experience in businesses. Connections is more important then quality. 

Xpel is a nation wide business with vast connections with other top brands (ex. dealers). 

Yes, to a joe blow customer xpel vs another installer is the same. But to all the high end accounts (dealers) in your region. Xpel has a clear advantage.

P.S. I wish I knew Xpel sold stock a year ago. If I put $10k I would have $150k if my math is right lol ;)

We do have the advantage of different dealerships and independent shops selling with great success around the country.  That is why we are able to use that information to help installers gain business.  Just ask all of the people that have been through training class at our HQ recently about the examples we have provided about dealerships that are selling at 50% plus penetration, and how they can do the same in their market.  

For that matter, ask the folks at Metropolitan Detail about the support we provided to host a tech event for the Porsche, Ferarri and Tesla clubs, ask MARS of Billings about the delaersip accounts we called on and eventually landed, ask Clear Pro about the display and personnel we provided o help him at the California Festival of Speed, sk Rose Detailing about the success he had with us at the Corvettes at Carlisle.  Point being, is that any info we have, we share with our film users to help grow their businesses.  Call people that buy film from us and ask them about our ethics.  We realize that everyone has their preferences in film and that not everyone will buy ours, but we are committed to helping our customers. 

agreed and that's what is unclear whether that is happening or not, from Xpels response that was not the intent behind it all and is not what s happening.

Same and now im too hesitant to pull the trigger on buying shares at $3 lol. Probably kick myself it it rises the same amount.

Its been proven there is a lack of integrity on that end by what has happened over the last couple of years. I understand you are a huge fan of Xpel but you aren't having to compete with them. You are in Australia after all and in all fairness do not have any competition down there as it is a new market.  If Xpel wanted to truly grow the market in an area they would promote the installers pushing their film. Instead installers who have been pushing their film are now finding the company they were promoting as a competitor. I do not know of another film company out there that does this... at least I haven't heard of it. And it is a clear advantage for Xpel in a market over installers using Xpel film as most dealerships and clients would go directly to the company that warranties their product. Why use a "middle man" for an installer? Just as stated above they are promoting their installation store area wide... obviously. According to Tim the guy is over an hour away from his shop (his own words) yet he can still google clear bra and Xpel's new store pops up. I am very familiar with Adwords and if Xpel only wanted to advertise their store within a 5 mile radius its very easy to set up that way. Instead they are pushing their install shop area wide... which obviously means someone is lying right off the bat.

My question is why doesn't Xpel make their own film? Who developed the self healing top coat that they promote? Rumor has it isn't Xpel... but I would like to see someone from Xpel put it all in writing. I for one am very happy this thread started it. I get too many phone calls from people all over pushing me to just come out and say it as I tend to say it just as it is. I don't sugar coat anything... wasn't raise that way and didn't even do that in my military career... which wasn't pleasant all the time. But this all needs to be in writing in the open so that two years down the road people can reflect back at this and see how the situation changed and how some companies don't honor their words.

Pro-Tect, where you are wrong is that we do support people that purchase XPEL film.  Last I checked you don't purchase our film.  Last I checked we also aren't competing with you.

I would beg to differ with your other statement as well.  Of every ipod/iphone I've ever owned, not one was purchased one from the Apple Store.  As long as I know I can get the same product with the same warranty from a reputable store, that's all that matters to me.

As for adwords, wouldn't it make sense to advertise to the whole market, so that if we did get a dealership's interest as a result we could call up Jean-Claude and work out a deal?

We've laid out the facts and our intentions as you suggested, I just don't know what more we can say.  This horse is dead and tired of getting kicked.

These first two questions have been brought up a few times, but with no response.  I would be curious too as to what the answer is.  Even though Tom doesn't do PPF he is right. It's not the first time this has happened, but it does raise a number of ethics into question.

I'd like to see the recipe for Coca Cola posted, but that isn't always realistic.  Let's just say that we developed our film jointly with the help of scientists/chemists here in the U.S. that are outside of the ppf industry.  And it seems to have been a good idea, because it has helped address a long standing durability issue in the market and our competitors have followed suit.  

I'm not in the PPF business. However I have been in the window film business for almost 30 years. My opinion is that you are either a dealer or a distributor. The two should not be under one roof. If you as a dealer have to buy material from the very same people who offer the same service to the end user, they have a price advantage over you that can only be classified as unfair. Window film mfrs had distributors that were also in the business of installing and selling against other local dealers. This too is unethical. It may also be illegal in some states if not nationally. ( possible anti trust conflict ). If you find yourself in this situation with a supplier, the best thing you can do is speak with your wallet and take your business elsewhere.

Tom, I couldn't agree with you more :twocents I do a little PPF and have been looking at going to Expel for more training on installing their product. That was what brought me to this thread to start. I'm going to sit and watch what happens next to see what the real deal is before making a decision.

I don't buy into the "Our retail stores pay the same as other dealers BS for a minute" fact is that it is a money shuffle. At the end of the day the money if filtered back to the distributor and used to broaden their market, and build market share. Eventually competing against dealers. .02

Jeff first of all I would not expect any Xpel installer in one of these areas to post in here proving our point and going against yours. That wouldn't be too good for the business relationship. Second I don't buy your film for the very reason this post has come up... I called YOU out on this a couple of years ago and you told me point blank there was not going to be a store opened in Houston.... and Austin. Then two weeks ago I talked to you again and you said well at the time we weren't. Kind of a play on words... like I stated earlier you guys would make great politicians. I have posted numerous questions and they have'nt been addressed which I expected. In regards to the Adwords question I would expect a company moving into a market to advertise to the entire market. BUT Tim just stated he wasn't going into the other guys area and the other guy was 50+ miles away... that Xpel was only looking for business within a 5 mile radius of the shop and didn't want to have to travel to get cars. So again why advertise area wide for your business (directing people to Xpel Atlanta website instead of the Xpel directory of installers)? Why not advertise the product and link it to his site? He directly contradicted himself in the same post. Like I said... a great politician. Oh and please show me some links to where I can see these TV commercials you have made for the San Antonio areas... or any other area for that matter. I would love to see one... and hear from installers in that area that have benefitted from them.

I have worked ina  couple of large markets myself... Southern California and the DFW area. Sure there are a couple of guy pushing for the high end dealers but there are a ton of dealerships here and not one installer will turn down a Toyota or a Hyundai. They may price themselves out of the job but they don't fight over a few dealerships. Work is work when it comes down to it. So you keep making the same bogus arguments which don't add up. and you cant possibly sit here and tell me that you don't want to move into a market and not get ALLL the work in that market. if so you need to rethink how you do business. I would love to have enough installers to take all of the Dallas installs. Who wouldn't??? So to act like you are doing this for the other installers is again laughable. the problem you are running into in Houston is the same you will run into elsewhere. You cant go take your class and go work on cars immediately after. It takes years to properly learn how to install. Your Houston shop might be lagging some because you have had some install issues. I have seen it first hand as I had to redo a Lambo down there. Hey it happens, even to you guys.

Your Coca Cola comment was a little off. I didn't say post the formula for the film or top coat, but who developed it. Coca Cola developed their own product. You guys didn't from what I have heard so I was just curious to who actually developed the self healing technology Tim boasted about.

My point is that you would be much better off posting your true intentions here instead of beating around the bush. People respect others that state the truth upfront instead of lying about things. Sure it may step on some toes but at least you are being upfront. if you guys conducted business that way I am sure I would be offering your film. Well also if you could get your software working properly. Again for the third month in a row I am being double and triple charged for cuts. Also the error you mentioned to me is an easy code fix in he software. maybe instead of expanding your install shops all over the place you should refine your cutting software first. For anyone that doesn't know in the DAP software if you nest a larger pattern such as a bumper with a smaller piece (like a partial hood) it multiplies the costs together as opposed to adding them. So if a bumper is 400% larger than a partial hood it multiplies the cut costs by 4 instead of just adding the two together. If I cant get this squared away I wont be using the software either since it is a PITA figuring this out.

Jeff I hate that you got into this thread because your one of the few people I like down there. But obviously other people are concerned with what is going on. Xpel is the only company out there doing this and I can promise you that in the end it will hurt your company much more than help. But keep following the road of pleasing the stock holders instead of practicing ethical business... and lets see where all this ends up.

I want to add one last thing and then I am done with this conversation. I go through numerous car forums weekly promoting the clear bra industry as a whole. There is so much bad information out there that I always have to try and correct. But it helps people understand the product and the benefits of getting it installed while at the same time getting rid of a bunch of myths about the products such as they all yellow, all crack ,or get dull over time. I also have people contact me daily looking for installers in other areas of the country that do good work. I take the time to research it for them and do refer people to installers... some of them are on this forum knowing I wont make a dime off of it. I also promote Xpel Ultimate and Suntek films because I think they are the two best films out that I have had my hands on. I personally think Suntek is a better film but I also promote Xpel Ultimate to people all over the countryas a close second and an excellent product. I am telling people the truth and that goes a long way with them. I could very easily just promote Suntek and not push Xpel Ultimate because after all I do not install it so I don't make any money (and in fact probably loose some) if someone wants Xpel. But I still do it anyway. I have also had people tell me I was recommended as the best installer in the area. I humbly say thank you but I cant claim that as there are other first class installers here (Norm and Trey to name a couple) that do outstanding work. So at the end of the day I provide what I think is the best product at a fair price and I am HONEST with people. In turn I sleep well at night. After all my business is MINE and I would rather have people respect me for my word than just go lie to make money. I am not posting this to pat myself on the back. I am doing it to say that you can do business with honesty and integrity AND MAKE MONEY. That may be something to consider.

For anyone that doesn't know in the DAP software if you nest a larger pattern such as a bumper with a smaller piece (like a partial hood) it multiplies the costs together as opposed to adding them. So if a bumper is 400% larger than a partial hood it multiplies the cut costs by 4 instead of just adding the two together. If I cant get this squared away I wont be using the software either since it is a PITA figuring this out.

Hi Thom,

All you have to do is post the smaller kit into the larger one to avoid a large cut fee.  For instance, if you post a partial hood into a bumper, it won't increase the size of the kit 400%, therefore it won't increase the cut fee 400% either.  If you have any cuts in question on your plot log, feel free to e-mail them to me and I'll have accounting make any adjustments necessary.

Furthermore, you can always request a credit within the plot log so that you are not inaccurately billed.  Never hesitate to give us a call if you have any questions on how to use our software.

For anyone that doesn't know in the DAP software if you nest a larger pattern such as a bumper with a smaller piece (like a partial hood) it multiplies the costs together as opposed to adding them. So if a bumper is 400% larger than a partial hood it multiplies the cut costs by 4 instead of just adding the two together. If I cant get this squared away I wont be using the software either since it is a PITA figuring this out.

Hi Thom,

All you have to do is post the smaller kit into the larger one to avoid a large cut fee.  For instance, if you post a partial hood into a bumper, it won't increase the size of the kit 400%, therefore it won't increase the cut fee 400% either.  If you have any cuts in question on your plot log, feel free to e-mail them to me and I'll have accounting make any adjustments necessary.

Furthermore, you can always request a credit within the plot log so that you are not inaccurately billed.  Never hesitate to give us a call if you have any questions on how to use our software.

:yeah

Archived