XPEL Moves Out of Texas.

Guest glasstinter01

I have to chime in on all  of this I install a ton of ppf here in Atlanta and also know kevin at iconic its funny xpel says that they do not try to move in on our accounts,because on one of the accounts they have I called and asked kevin if he could do a car I couldn't get to. well once I got his foot in the door the first thing he did was sell them on this great idea that you can become a install center and pay a fraction of what you have been paying and hey we can train one of your detail guys or porters in 2 weeks lol lets see how long that works out also while I was on a cruise he went info a very high end account of mine and sold them on the same idea heres the bottom line it will not work you cant teach someone to install ppf in 2 weeks the only thing that is going to happen is the market is going to get flooded with people who think they can install. I don't get it if the dealer isn't calling you complaining then don't try to push us small guys out help us don't hurt us its the same thing with xpel Atlanta doing cars for nothing just to have there name put on the windshield at a small car show I could go on an on about this but I have to get to work keeping my accounts and fixing the ones that were installed by untrained people

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I for one don't think it's good for the future.

In my country, I was the only 1 who shelled out a good sum of money to fly to San Antonio for training almost 6 years ago. 16,000 miles round trip.   (March of 2009) A DAP subscriber since 2009.   At its infant stages in a 3rd world country, it's so difficult to convince people to install PPF.  Through MONEY Spent on advertising and hard work, I made XPEL a house hold brand among the elite here.    3M and Ventureshield was a pioneer here.    We went through the ups and downs of the business, learning to install, teaching installers, Adhesive issues...(who could forget that).

However, someone else 10 mins away is also doing XPEL just recently, riding off our coat tails.  They could have purchased from any of your distributors.  But I was told I couldn't do anything about it from XPEL Peeps.  My mistake was I should have just advertised my Shop instead of the BRAND of film.  Now I've stopped advertising the brand altogether as it could benefit the other shop and confuse the consumer.  I doubt the other shop will do the same coz it could benefit me.....Hence the beginning of the end.  

I had similar instances when 2 of us got the Master franchise for Carl's Jr. ended up closing.

I don't how much we're expected to order but the whole country only sells 150,000 brand new units per YEAR.  For most people here, basic necessities such as food, clothing and shelter are still on the priority.

MOMSPH, I am having a little trouble reading into what you are saying as happened.

From what I am reading it sounds like what millions of people go through with business daily. Competitors will always be there and if they aren't already there, the one thing you can count on is that there most likely be ones in the future.

Also sounds like the new business searched for the best way (possibly the most cost effective way) to get their product. The same as you would. You cant expect a manufacturer to turn away everyone that comes to their door just because they serve others in the area. If they did then I would imagine they would not make much money at all. This is also not an Xpel specific thing, any manufacturer would sell their product to new customers.

I can understand the issues people are having with Xpel themselves opening Install facilities around the corner, but because Xpel are selling product to a place that has opened up around the corner? cmon really. Your telling me if Xpel sent them to a distributor instead that would have had a different impact on your business. We have one distributor for the whole of Australia for Xpel, should I get upset that they are selling it to other businesses in Australia or my area?

All I can say is welcome to business!

Supreme, I've gotten over this whole situation.  Yes, initially, my rants can be quite confusing but here it is:

1.  Competition buys from overseas distributor and not locally.

2.  My main business is distribution.

3.  Xpel doesn't care where they buy their products.

To elaborate a bit on the Distribution side.

I've been a MOTHERS polish country distributor since 1996.  Weathertech since 2011 (By the Way, Weathertech is coming to Australia.  Great Products for your vehicle.)  And many other products.  I built my small empire around trust and loyalty to the brands I carry.   I personally went to XPEL in 2009 in the hopes of expanding our business line.  I built a install center for XPEL.  Built showrooms and detail center for MOTHERS and a couple of other showrooms for Weathertech.  Why do we do this?  Because that's how I do business. 

Although, XPEL may not have as strong of a volume as MOTHERS Polish, We still advertise the Brands in the hopes of it becoming as big as MOTHERS and my other brands I carry.  Since the competition came of out no where and has started a price war.  I went to our Int'l rep in the hopes of resolving this issue and basically the response I got was shoulder shrug.  I don't mind selling to the competition because my core business is distribution.  But for XPEL to just say hey, " I don't know where they buy their products from but It's ok for them to put up an Xpel sign without you knowing it" is foul. 

I Love working in the Automotive Industry...I am passionate Salesman and it got me to where I am today.  But sometimes, you just have to step back and say...is it worth getting screwed over?

Right, thanks for the more info.

Not sure how to take that situation. I know in vehicle wrapping a lot of renowned wrap install places also sell the vinyl, sure its a marked up price to the distributors but finding a distributor isn't easy if you are someone wanting to do a DIY. I personally don't like that purely cos it promotes DIY of a process that should be an art form.

It sucks that has happened but I don't think Xpel should call this place and tell them they cant sell the product unless they buy it through you, they are obviously getting it from some authorised distributor. Where do you draw the line if that's the case, should Xpel, 3m etc contact people selling it on ebay.

At the end of the day the business in the area would not contact you to buy stuff off you to then compete, and im sure you would not sell it to them to also do the same. If they want to open it and compete then they will find away around that (which they have).

I do feel for you but it is a dog eat dog world in business and as much as people say stick to your pricing and don't lower it I think that is difference when it comes to selling just a physical product, people aren't buying a service that you can excel enough on to warrant paying more for. This may be a case where you may have to match them. The difference is you will still be making more as you should in theory be getting a better rate from Xpel than this place would be getting from another distributor.

Sorry just years  of being a business consultant and relationship manager for businesses before getting into this game and this sort of thing happens daily in all fields. Again different to what others are talking about with this thread with an install facility opening, that is a different kettle of fish but again happens in many fields also....

Hopefully it works out for you and maybe the other place will not get the profits they had hoped and stop selling it

Supreme,  I may not be classified by XPEL as a distributor and really don't care any more.   You are right,  I am not cutting my prices just to meet the competitions'.  However, I may need to look for another PPF brand just to get the support I was hoping to get.

Supreme,  I may not be classified by XPEL as a distributor and really don't care any more.   You are right,  I am not cutting my prices just to meet the competitions'.  However, I may need to look for another PPF brand just to get the support I was hoping to get.

Suntek has the best customer service I have seen for a film brand.

Suntek has the best customer service I have seen for a film brand.

So your not a distributor? this is getting confusing. So your not an authorised distributor and you are annoyed at Xpel that someone around the corner has chosen to sell the same product as you and that Xpel is not 'blackballing' them?

But will Suntek do what this guy is annoyed at Xpel for not doing, call up someone around the corner that decides to sell the same product as him and tell them not to, I highly doubt it and good luck finding a manufacturer that will.. I mean cmon does that not sound like something that is just part of business not the fault of a manufacturer. really.

Supreme I am just as confused with our status. We are an authorized dealer for XPEL and we are also distribution company. All the while, I thought XPEL knew of our business plan. However, I realized now that they don't, hence my statement. When I pleaded with Xpel during SEMA show about our plans for distribution, they just said they have to "keep selling to keep stock holders happy...."

I spoke with Suntek's Mr. Kieren Bird out of Austrslia and he totally understands what I am going through.

Apologies for the confusing statements but it's really hard to put it in writing what we're going through after working so hard these past 5 years to market XPEL and have this problem occur.

Archived