Windsheilds, water, and dashboards

I don't get requests for full windshields often, in fact i've never done one to date. But every time I talk to a customer considering one i'm always worried about that much water running down behind the dash. Is this a valid concern? If so what do you do when you tint windshields? Thanks-

I've done plenty of windshields. You just have to be careful to not use too much water. If you can, stretch a towel across the dashboard as you prep. Slide the towel back a little before the install so it isn't up against the glass. Luckily it hasn't happened to me yet-but several tinters I know had some weird things happen with the cars after they tinted the windshields. Like wipers staying on, dash lights acting screwy. They said after a day or two and the water dried the car stopped doing it.

You won't always know what might happen until you try. I have messed up rain sensors keeping windshield wipers from not wanting to turn off and have also got water in the brake switch on (2) 2010 Chevy Silverados that would keep the truck from going into gear until we blew the water out with compressed air. 

The last shop I worked at-I was heat shrinking a windshield as another guy had just finished the doors. I'm halfway through shrinking it then all of the sudden the wipers turn on and start smacking me like I was a red headed stepchild. The film got caught under the wipers and was ruined. I looked into the car and the guy that had just finished the doors was sitting there in panic. He turned the ignition on so he could touch up one of the windows-and didn't realize that the rain sensors would make the wipers come on. I laughed at him and called him a noob, then we both had a good chuckle. Stuff happens. Oh well.

That is probably the case. After thinking it over last night I'm not offering it it anymore. It's just way too much aggravation. Even if I was charging double what I am now I still would not want to do it.I feel that I am an exceptional tinter. I do great work on the side windows and on the back glasses. For some reason or another the front windshield is just kicking my ass. but with the risk that's involved of water damage I don't see the benefit in it. I've never had one happen before, but it's only a matter of time. Even when I use little amounts of water I've had customers complain about water in the floorboard. I know a lot of guys do the windshields. I respect them for being capable of doing that. I just do not want the headache anymore from it. I hope this helps from the original post. I know that I am kind of ranting now.

Archived