DOORS-Double cut, double shrink-wet snap-final shrink

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's a good thing that many of us don't have to install film on the older Ford Windstars. Back when I first stared tinting, the guy who basically mentored me,double cut all the patterns, so I did the same. Then found out that the front passenger roll up window is shorter than the front drivers roll up window! Oopps! 

It's a good thing that many of us don't have to install film on the older Ford Windstars. Back when I first stared tinting, the guy who basically mentored me,double cut all the patterns, so I did the same. Then found out that the front passenger roll up window is shorter than the front drivers roll up window! Oopps!

Haha! Yeah that happens on occasions. I've never had it happen with doors tho. Only if I double cut two cargo windows, like on an older Tahoe or Navigator back half. One is longer than the other. I just make sure to measure them and if they're longer I cut them out individually.

Yeah most doors I shrink on would be the 3000 gt, vettes, & bettles. Other then that maybe the occasional runner during the winter months.

Nailed it with that list! For me personally, since I don't pull panels or sweeps, I just shrink everything. It doesn't seem to add too much time to the install...but greatly lessens the chance for the film to suck up felt or dirt on the inside. As stated before if I had worked at a shop that pulled panels/sweeps and it was something I did on a regular basis it would 100% be something I incorporated into my installs.

First shop I worked at it was mandatory. Even on frameless doors. Second shop the guy got pissed because I pulles them. After a couple years he finally figured out why I pull them. I only pull the easy ones or omes that are tight. If I have a complex door panel with a loose gasket. Like mainly Cadillacs. I leave them on.

Archived