Auto to Commercial

Guest Bryant James Iriel Devlin

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This job had a 5% retainer for 12 months.

30 day after invoice month payment, no deposit and progress payments if required.

Either you play by their rules or someone else will.

All got paid on time and no hassles as per the contract and purchase order.

This was over 8600 sqft of film. North and South facades.

I was a very happy man 30 days after that invoice month!

The 5% didn't bother me but I shudder to think of the trades that have jobs worth 100's of 1000's $

image.jpg

Nice work GT!! Very impressive size and girth!!!

Cheers fellas.

this is an old job and I've posted the pic a few times.

Seems as though this particular job had so much learning within it.

It taught me a lot that not many will ever experience.

Getting back on topic.

Auto is good but commercial can really get you going.

I do both plus other film related stuff but mostly commercial and must agree that commercial kills any other type of tinting when it comes to $ and the amount of time it takes to make it.

But you still got to work your ass off. Dont think that, easy it's flat anyone can do this.

That picture had 840 windows 7 levels high. Hanging off the side of the building putting up an external film with over 3 km of caulking.

Battling wind, rain and full direct sun. Remember I'm in Melbourne. 4 seasons in one day.

Plus deal with the DICKS on site.

That's not even my highest volume app. Just very different.

I've had bigger frosting jobs.

The biggest to date was just under 1500m2 and completed in 3 weeks.

On my own. Easy yeah?

Geez, every time I take on a job like these I loose around 5-7kgs in weight.

Up and down all day, your arms are moving flat out.

Squats, bending, twisting.

On site at 6am and go hard for probably 9-10 hours a day. Then drive home through traffic all Fooked and then do it all again tomorrow.

Remember it's not just laying up film.

It's preparing the film.

Carrying and getting the film to the glass.

Cleaning the rubbish. Filling your 8lt bottle which takes walking down 3 or 4 flights of stairs if it's a building under construction.

Mate, there's so much more also involved.

It's also a mental drainer.

If your not ready mentally first, forget about trying to win jobs like this.

It all starts as soon as you get the call to quote and doesn't end until you get that pay cheque.

But I love it!

I've experienced a lot in our industry over the last 19 years.

I've been lucky I guess.

I've worked at tint shops when I started that had 20+ cars a day all day every day.

Contracted for the busiest FG businesses.

But I didn't go truly into my own bizz until after 14 years of tinting like a mad dog and I guess when my head was in the right place and ready to go for it.

Hey I'm not saying you have to wait that long but more experience working for the busiest, the best for you and the better you'll become honing your app skills (running a business is a totally different ball game).

If you tried to teach yourself and tinted 1 car a week.

You ain't ever going to be Pro! Ever!!!

And the same goes for flat!

Contract for 2 years and make sure you are flat out all day every day for those 24 months!

i do only auto and  in a establish shop but also do graphics , alarms etc  . How is commer/resi in sept-jan ? The nice thing with autos you can always make some money in the winter . Not much but at least enough to pay some bills . With commercial is there any business in the winter  ? 

i do only auto and in a establish shop but also do graphics , alarms etc . How is commer/resi in sept-jan ? The nice thing with autos you can always make some money in the winter . Not much but at least enough to pay some bills . With commercial is there any business in the winter ?

Once you establish a client base there is always a flow of work. We are actually north of 80% deco and that is non stop

Archived