I think it's time to quit.

Guest 94turboteggy621

Guest 94turboteggy621

Yea so i did a 2014 Infiniti Q50 today..brand new...and well let's just say it didn't come out too good at all and the customer wasn't too happy...he's my friend so it wasn't like most of you are thinking..but run down of the car...the back Windsheild wouldn't shrink right..so there's not bubbles in the bottom right corner...3 out of the four windows all have bubbles in the top corner...and i ripped the inside of the door panle the you would rest your arm almost and it rip a little hole in it..I didn't have the nerve to not tell him and let him find it on his own..he was clearly upset..who wouldn't be...and to top it all off it took me about 4 try's on the fron window and about 2 on the rest so needless to say I used what I had left of the tint..and I didn't charge him...but my friend does tints too and i called him and told him so now he's gonna re do it and im gonna help..but yea I spent about 6 hours on the car used the rest of my tint and didn't make a dollar..and now im afraid he's gonna make me pay for a new panel if he really sits there and get anal with the car..I kinda just wanna crawl up in a ball and die right now.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Chin up. Sounds like the effort was there.

If you are really keen to learn, you will need to learn from someone who knows what they are doing.

It really is a hard skill to perfect, if it can be perfected at all..

Don't be down on yourself, and let your friend know that you may have damaged part of his trim when removing it.

Stay well away from brand new cars when practicing. When learning you will burn through plenty of film and make plenty of mistakes.. Those who can get through that barrier can go further.

Cheers

^^ Yep, as GTS said.

No need to crawl up into a ball, life goes on, it is only a bit of tint.

You are learning lessons here, appreciate that. It's not only about learning how to tint, it's also learning about the realities of being in business and about life.

Believe me, the hits will keep coming, but there will be good times too.

Your friend must realise that you were a beginner, but you should also show him ( your customer) some respect and pay for any damage you have done and apologise.

Kudos to you for arranging for the job to be taken care of for your customer. So maybe now you can be involved in that and learn bit more.

This is make or break time for you. You have just realised the down side - time to decide if you have the will and the guts to keep pushing through to better days or to go and get a job somewhere.

In Australia we say it's time to " nut up or shut up"

All the best whichever way you go.

Dude I've been at this a while now. In and off for ten years. More off than on. Been pretty staff the last two or three though. I will say it does get better. If you're not prepared to spend hundreds if not thousands of dollars learning. I've been dabbing into commercial work and have been struggling a lot. I've gotten pretty good at auto however i still have my days where i want to hang the apron up though. Today being one of those days. I've made almost every mistake imaginable from scratching paint to having a kitchen sink fall on one of those under the counter mounts. I also don't consider myself a great self taught person. Maybe invest in some training. I wish I had done more before i went on my own. I know i kinda jumped around and don't know if i really made a point. So if you think Hey i kinda like the idea of doing this seek some help. More than just an Internet forum. If you're thinking this is a lot of headache and don't have time or money to invest in it, go ahead and get out.

Guest 94turboteggy621

Dude I've been at this a while now. In and off for ten years. More off than on. Been pretty staff the last two or three though. I will say it does get better. If you're not prepared to spend hundreds if not thousands of dollars learning. I've been dabbing into commercial work and have been struggling a lot. I've gotten pretty good at auto however i still have my days where i want to hang the apron up though. Today being one of those days. I've made almost every mistake imaginable from scratching paint to having a kitchen sink fall on one of those under the counter mounts. I also don't consider myself a great self taught person. Maybe invest in some training. I wish I had done more before i went on my own. I know i kinda jumped around and don't know if i really made a point. So if you think Hey i kinda like the idea of doing this seek some help. More than just an Internet forum. If you're thinking this is a lot of headache and don't have time or money to invest in it, go ahead and get out.

Yea well honestly...I wanna tint...the money...i kno will be good when I get to a point...but there's somthing about it when I do a car that doesn't kick the living shit out of me like this car did today i feel great after I do it..I love that feeling..it's just i feel i won't get good enough to ever make money off of it..i kno it takes time and practice but at the same time there's a lot that youtube and this fourm can't really explain..even though a lot of the guys including you have yes helped me with a bunch..but idk..I was kinda heated when I wrote that before I really don't wanna quit but I don't wanna go on without some hel from someone in person to show me some stuff..Im going to my buddy's that does tint for a living this Saturday when he fixes my fuck up in that kids car and gona watch him and ask a million questions and then from there maybe just stick with not brand new cars..

Learning to tint is rough! It's like a roller coaster. The learning curve is very steep at first and most bail before you reach the top. Once you do though it gets much easier. Sure you still will have your ups and downs but you'll have the momentum to get ya through it.

When I first started I moved my family a couple states away with zero experience, I was confident In myself and knew I would succeed. However it was not easy. Since I moved so far away I didn't have much choice but to make it work. Had it not been for that I may have quit myself as it was very frustrating for those first six months.

Lots of trial and error. I remember one of the first door panels I pulled I didn't see a screw and put a big ol crack in it. Luckily it was a co workers car so it wasn't a big deal and she ended up getting her car totaled shortly after.

My point is if you have a passion for this line of work then stick with it and you'll succeed. It's not for everyone though so if you have doubts that's perfectly normal but if you don't have the passion to get through the steep learning curve then it might be best to bail.

Good luck :thumb

Talk to your buddy about training you. I thought i could watch the guy who trained me tint one window and go from there. Boy was i wrong. Paid him 500 bucks he ran me through the basics. Helped me with a few just like your case and introduced me to flat glass. If you really enjoy it then I'd stock with it a little longer but regroup. If he isn't willing to train you maybe find a shop that you can be an apprentice at. I know i wouldn't mind if a kid came to me and wanted to learn how to tint. You just have to show initiative.

Oh and if you're doing it for the money go ahead and get out now. If you're really passionate about putting out a top notch product then stick around.

Archived