Guest Derek Medeiros

I'm paid hourly, I hate it.

I would love to move somewhere other then here , somewhere its warm all year round.

I also would love to be on my own, doing this myself, or working for someone that pays salary + commission.. I'm hourly at 20 an hour, and I can't stand it...

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Paying hourly is the worst idea ever. If you want a good tinter that will stay around, you are gonna have to pay them commission.

Hourly mean the employee get paid no matter how much or little they work, so an employee will no strive to get in more work.

Commission works well because the employee is only being paid for the work being done, so if you have a motivated employee they will work more to male more money.

Your best bet is to find a well trianed tinter and pay them 35% to 40% commission.

Or hire someone who knows nothing, pay them minimal and only teach them how to assist you with minor tasks. This will allow you to get more work done per day.

How many tinters have you paid 35-40%? 

I would love to move somewhere other then here , somewhere its warm all year round.

I also would love to be on my own, doing this myself, or working for someone that pays salary + commission.. I'm hourly at 20 an hour, and I can't stand it...

So, wait... you've been tinting for about one year.. you make $20/hour and your are not happy?

Id like to see your speed and your quality.... after doing it for a year, i was only making $7/h  (17years ago)

Paying hourly is the worst idea ever. If you want a good tinter that will stay around, you are gonna have to pay them commission.

Hourly mean the employee get paid no matter how much or little they work, so an employee will no strive to get in more work.

Commission works well because the employee is only being paid for the work being done, so if you have a motivated employee they will work more to male more money.

Your best bet is to find a well trianed tinter and pay them 35% to 40% commission.

Or hire someone who knows nothing, pay them minimal and only teach them how to assist you with minor tasks. This will allow you to get more work done per day.

Thats a good question... How many tinters you have paid 35/40%??? 

so i charge $300 for tint and you are suggesting that i pay my guy  $140 for install???  that would be average $70/hour..

Shit... I'm moving to where you are at... you have the head ache and i'll take $70/hour

So, wait... you've been tinting for about one year.. you make $20/hour and your are not happy?

Id like to see your speed and your quality.... after doing it for a year, i was only making $7/h  (17years ago)

Thats a good question... How many tinters you have paid 35/40%??? 

so i charge $300 for tint and you are suggesting that i pay my guy  $140 for install???  that would be average $70/hour..

%&$#... I'm moving to where you are at... you have the head ache and i'll take $70/hour

paying 35-40% is pay for a true professional, someone with speed AND quality installs. Someone that can do anything put in front of them and can do most jobs in 2 hours or less.even if you do pay out more per job, someone with a skill set of that level can help you make mor money. But on the other side of that, your shop has to be busy enough to support that level of pay.

Guest Derek Medeiros

Actually I've been in the glass industry for 9 years now, tinting for 5.

I do windshields/flat glass/ppf/tint etc

after 9 years of doing this and only being at 20 an hour... you begin to realize how things can get sh***y, quickly.

I've never been on my own however, always worked for companies.

I usually can do 3 cars a day, 4 and im pushing it, anything above and the quality goes down, I'm not a speed tinter.. I like quality.

10463876_10152298779822648_6091514168594

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-7GKhVEdz14&list=UUUIoCyhf5NYbliFFC8OxWIQ

quick time lapse of my work

I use a plotter, we just opened a new location in a whole new town, I'm actually running the shop so working on landing some dealership work to get things busy, on average with it being almost the slow time of the year I'm only doing 3-4 a week on average right now, however my shop is doing 6-8 windshields a day on average which keeps sales up

Well if you think about it, if you have an employee that works hard, pushes out consistent quality work in a timely manner, doesn't bring drama to your shop-he's the one making you money. Why wouldn't you pay him 30-40%? Paying an hourly wage will most likely cause him/her to always look elsewhere for work...drag their feet while working...and possibly take side work that should be revenue YOUR shop is generating. Go ahead-pay hourly. You'll always have an employee that's hourly minded. Or will jump ship and go to work on his own. I can tint a car in an hour to an hour and a half. Clean, quality...in and out. There's not a car out there I can't tint. So if I ever decided to work for someone again, why would I take $20 to tint a car when I can make 7-10x more than that and tint on my own. Do the math. It would take hustling up 4-5 cars a week to beat that WEAKly pay an hourly company offers...and finding 4-5 cars a week to tint isn't hard.

Don't ever forget that if you aren't tinting everything that comes through the door and your employee is-they're the ones making you $. Just my two cents.

Guest Derek Medeiros

^I like your attitude

everything you said is true, I've been planning on doing this on my own for  while step by step, why? because hourly sucks

I work hard, I do quality work as well, but I'm only making my boss richer, hell.. if I wanted to I could easily do side jobs in my garage, but I'm super loyal to my boss, I'm just sick of the pay.

10710725_10152510306417648_8369919314193

Archived