^I like your attitude

everything you said is true, I've been planning on doing this on my own for while step by step, why? because hourly sucks

I work hard, I do quality work as well, but I'm only making my boss richer, hell.. if I wanted to I could easily do side jobs in my garage, but I'm super loyal to my boss, I'm just sick of the pay.

10710725_10152510306417648_8369919314193

Exactly. And that's why when you have a valuable employee, you HAVE to look at them as an asset and not a liability. If or when I ever get big enough to hire help-I will make sure they eat lobster while I eat pb&j. Why? Because it's off their blood and sweat that I'm building my livelihood.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have owned my own shops in the 30+ years of tinting and i actually got out of the business about 8 years ago was burned out, a local shop owner convinced me to return to tinting and since I know what is involved in running and owning a shop we devised a different way then commission to get paid. we set a amount per window depending on the film I was installing, the more expensive the the film the more I would make, I also pay for any film I burn so that insures quality work. Some tinters may not like this way of getting paid but you have to keep your doors open and to me it doesn't matter what the shop charges for a honda civic or a older eclipse a window is a window. could I make more at another shop sure but with the quality of work I do I'm usually booked 2+ weeks out and on average can knock out about 120 cars a month. 

Damn. I do 3 to 4 cars a day and get paid 9 an hour

you sir are being exploited at that wage IMHO. I work for an auto group ( vw/ mazda) I came here on a salary base. I think my salary is quite good for what I do as an employee.But like Mad was saying, I know what I am pushing through the shop on a monthly basis ( labor profit wise)  I average over the year roughly $18,000/mnth in labor profit after expenses, and I sit back and think why can't that be me doing that instead of making it for the boss. We are two dealerships out of 13 big ones in the city. So there are  11  major accounts to go out and get, because no other dealer will bring work to our store, purely because they look at it as supporting another competing dealership.

Guest TintFocus

Damn. I do 3 to 4 cars a day and get paid 9 an hour

you sir are being exploited at that wage IMHO. I work for an auto group ( vw/ mazda) I came here on a salary base. I think my salary is quite good for what I do as an employee.But like Mad was saying, I know what I am pushing through the shop on a monthly basis ( labor profit wise)  I average over the year roughly $18,000 in labor profit after expenses, and I sit back and think why can't that be me doing that instead of making it for the boss. We are two dealerships out of 13 big ones in the city. So there are  11  major accounts to go out and get, because no other dealer will bring work to our store, purely because they look at it as supporting another competing dealership.

I always just jump in and fuck it all up, eat a bunch of crow and stuff off the dollar menu to get by, and then come out the other side with the knowledge that I didn't sit back and think about anything. True progress takes mistakes and taking your licks.  When do you think you'll get another chance to live man?  What life will you be the boss in?    :thumb :thumb :thumb

It's funny the majority of guys saying pay 35-40% here have never done it. 

Not saying it never works or there are not guys that are worth it.  It does but they are the exception.  That rate should be considered just that, an exception and certainly not the norm for your average auto installer.  Many of tinters here need to be hourly, cause if they paid or were responsible for all the wasted film or damages to vehicles not to mention taxes as contracted workers they'd have to find another occupation.

If the focus of your shop is installing window film, I'll never understand why an installer believes they should be entitled to those percentages when the owner is paying all expenses, responsible for any liability, and taking all the risk.

Commission, Salary or Hourly? Why not combine all 3? Give the installer a guaranteed pay per day for set hours to be worked. If the installer sells/installs over a certain amount then give a commission rate. If the the installer calls in sick or has to leave early, then base the pay on hours worked.

Why would a installer want to have to bust a$$ one day and only make the same pay that he/she made the day before only having a couple of jobs and pushing the broom in between just to make up the hours? Sure, the employer could send them home, but if the employee relies on the hours to pay bills, if sent home early, it cuts into what they are able to do. Same thing with being paid just commission. I installed at a shop that only paid commission and after a while, my mind set was that if there was nothing scheduled or if it was slow, why come in or hang around. I could stay at home and enjoy not getting paid to do what I want to do. The shop and installer both lose money when a customer does come in looking for a tint job right then and there and the installer isn't around to do it.

Archived