so i hired a new guy.. "0" experience... one and  a half months later doing ports only really...

so i hired the second guy at the same time to train... this guy got just as good as the first guy within the first week...

today, i had another gut stop in who does window tinting for a hobby for about 5 years.. off and on... wants to make a daily thing asking to start at $12/hr   (WHAT) lol

been looking for a person for so long and now there are three options going into the winter.. SERIOUSLY????   

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm glad there is a shortage of skilled tinters. That just means more cars for me to tint. I have tinted for myself since day 1. There are not too many businesses out there with low start up cost like tinting IMO. All you really need is a garage, some film, a few tools and some talent. I have a buddy of mine that works for me on an as needed basis when he is in town. he does vinyl wraps for his main job and is also a helluva tinter. I pay him by the job and it is useually around 40%. I know that I wouldnt make it very long paying him like that on a full time basis but like I said, its as needed. He is well worth that pay when I need him and I like to keep him happy. With him normally making $500 a day with me, it keeps him motivated and loyal. That way, when I need him, he is happy to come work.

There are several reasons why it is hard to find a good tinter. 1st, anyone really good will likely be doing it on their own and not willing to settle for 20-35% of the ticket. 2nd , most seasoned guys are not willing to share all they know with a snot nose little kid who may rent a pop tent across the street and compete against them in a month. 3rd, there is a whole bunch of guys out there who do not have a Olfa knife in their pouch, and if the plotter is not there, they are lost. These guys will never gain the expertise to handle everything that could come their way. 4th, a good many tinters are pre madonnas,they make a weeks pay in 1-2 days and end up flaking off till they need money again. Those are the main reasons on the labor side. There are more reasons on the shop owner and Mfr side that make it a viscous cycle

Guest Derek Medeiros

that's true on the relying on plotters, its what I use to be like.. and when the plotter was down, so was I.

I forced myself to hand cut now... and with that, I rather go on my own then make my boss richer

Archived