my landord rented a space 3 doors down to another tint shop

So I came in on Monday to find out a Tint/Detail shop moved in pretty much next door. Honestly we have completely different customer bases, but I have never in 15 years ever seen 2 tint shops in the same parking lot lol.  The landlord and the broker both said they had not exclusivity clause in the lease so they can rent to whoever they want.  And that they asked that tenant and he was ok moving next to me, but didn't ask me or notify me.  We've already had 2 people come into our shop looking for them in one day.  I can't blame the other shop, Im just not sure what to even think about it. Its pretty ridiculous.  I guess if I get too busy I can ask them to do the overload work….?

It raises awareness in your area. You will be surprised on how much extra business you can gain as long as you know your stuff and offer a better product!

Agreed. Be the go-to guy for technical knowledge and install quality, and make sure your customer service is top notch! Your landlord may have done you a favour!

Oh, and go make friends with the new guy. It'll make things a LOT smoother.

[emoji106]

My buddy owns Shademaker Window Tinting in Ft Myers fl. Directly across the parking lot is Car Tunes that used to offer tint directly but has since sold the tint business to his employee. So it's Shademaker on one side and Planet Tint on the other. My buddy gets lucky sometimes and people walk into his shop thinking they have an appointment with him. But they've scheduled it with the other guy. He just tints them and collects the money. Maybe you'll luck out like that too. If anything go talk to them and make sure your prices are somewhat close. Collusion isn't against the law if you don't get caught. lol. As long as he isn't a $89 guy you'll be ok.

Oh, and go make friends with the new guy. It'll make things a LOT smoother.

[emoji106]

:yeah

I agree with all the other sentiments, it usually works out well if like businesses are clustered together and you can share the customer pool, if everyone stays sensible and doesn't start up price wars.

I would still be a bit snakey on your landlord though. He definitely should have given you a heads up. I'd make a case out of it and see if you can't get some mileage out of it (your shop need a new coat of paint/ signage/ floor coverings?)

It's inconsiderate at the least.  So your landlord/broker apparently don't value your opinion or your long term plans, cause if they did they would have at least brought it up to gauge your reaction and then decide best option.  They certainly were not obligated to lease to another similar business.  Worst case scenario is the new competition approach your clientele base after seeing whom you cater to and maybe learn from your business plan becoming better than they would without the proximity.   I personally thinks its unacceptable, and not like there were not lots of other places available in your market.  They without a doubt stand to benefit far more than you will from this arrangement.  Regardless, I don't think it will affect you much but do think it was inappropriate. 

It's inconsiderate at the least.  So your landlord/broker apparently don't value your opinion or your long term plans, cause if they did they would have at least brought it up to gauge your reaction and then decide best option.  They certainly were not obligated to lease to another similar business.  Worst case scenario is the new competition approach your clientele base after seeing whom you cater to and maybe learn from your business plan becoming better than they would without the proximity.   I personally thinks its unacceptable, and not like there were not lots of other places available in your market.  They without a doubt stand to benefit far more than you will from this arrangement.  Regardless, I don't think it will affect you much but do think it was inappropriate. 

I would be boiling mad !

^This

It's very bad form.

It will without a doubt have an affect on your business, some times good, some times bad.

If it were me I'd be revamping my signage, showroom/reception and point of sale material. You want to look the most inviting and professional of the two options; you want to make an impression on any and all clientele.

I'd also have a friend shop the new shop to see how you compare :twocents

Archived