Automotive reverse roll question

Over the past year I've used the reverse roll in certain situations. About a month ago I decided to use it exclusively because a lot of people seem to swear by it and I have been very happy with the results.

I do have a couple questions though,

(1) When you roll your film do you roll it up very tight, loose, somewhere in between or does it even matter?

(2) When installing do you unroll the film onto the rear deck first then position it on the glass or do you apply it to the glass and slowly unroll the film all in one motion?

I've tried both ways and can't really say what works better as I've had similar results. Hope to get some insight from you guys :thumb

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

:lol

Yep I pull the liner back and spray, can't imagine it would be possible to do otherwise.

I've done this probably 30 times or so over the past few weeks and off and on before that so I'm not a complete noobie at it but I've never been shown it in person. I'm just going off of what I've read and a few videos.

Couple other questions I've thought of,

After I unroll the film I seem to have 2 to 3 inches of liner that extends past the film. Is this normal? Perhaps I'm not rolling tight enough and liner is sliding?

Also once I get film in place and try to remove liner the bottom corner where my roll ended seems to want to pull back with it. Any suggestions? I'm thinking if I don't have as much excessive liner maybe it will solve this issue.

Yep I pull the liner back and spray, can't imagine it would be possible to do otherwise.

I've done this probably 30 times or so over the past few weeks and off and on before that so I'm not a complete noobie at it but I've never been shown it in person. I'm just going off of what I've read and a few videos.

After I unroll the film I seem to have 2 to 3 inches of liner that extends past the film. Is this normal? Perhaps I'm not rolling tight enough and liner is sliding?

Also once I get film in place and try to remove liner the bottom corner where my roll ended seems to want to pull back with it. Any suggestions? I'm thinking if I don't have as much excessive liner maybe it will solve this issue.

Yes it is normal to have a few extra inches of extended liner. If you want to try avoiding that, leave a 1"dry spot in the middle of the film where you did not pull the release liner off completely, that will help avoid the liner from extending past the film. The bottom corner can be tricky sometimes if the liner extends past the film, take your time and try removing that part of the liner first so you don't have that extra liner in your face while dealing with it. 

And yes, it can be done without pulling the liner and spraying the adhesive first, it's just a real PITA!

Yes it is normal to have a few extra inches of extended liner. If you want to try avoiding that, leave a 1"dry spot in the middle of the film where you did not pull the release liner off completely, that will help avoid the liner from extending past the film. The bottom corner can be tricky sometimes if the liner extends past the film, take your time and try removing that part of the liner first so you don't have that extra liner in your face while dealing with it. 

And yes, it can be done without pulling the liner and spraying the adhesive first, it's just a real PITA!

:yeah

Roll it tight if you can.... Un roll it onto the glass in one motion.... If a 3rd brake light is in the way unroll it about Half way... Work it behind the light then finish :thumb

x2

Yep, it should be that way. On that last little bit I usually have a thin tool or my fingers there as I pull it away.

Loose = little liner shift (half dollar coin diameter or more and depends on how much room at the bottom of the BG)

Tight = liner shift from less than an inch to as much as been describe above.

Tight is best on double reverse roll (or scroll) method to get enough liner shift in the middle to slit before the install.

Archived