PPF pricing

I appreciate all the great examples you guys have given!  1 thing I must say is that I do not have a plotter and I am ordering all the kits from 44tools where I received my training just for the ease of the new skill.  I appreciate the heads up on the Llumar as I just installed it on my WHITE F150!  hahah  Guess I will be redoing,  is it the UV rays that break it down?

Jeff would you be able to send me Eric's number so that I can call him tomorrow please? 

I must say, I give you guys credit doing ppf for a living, it is more difficult than I initially thought, even after being a tinter for 10 years!

Also I may be giving Suntek a call this week to see what I can do

I think it could be a big mistake in taking on PPF if its going to be a side line to your tinting, you must invest in it with money and time.

A must have is a plotter then its practise! practise! practise! 

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You can call the main office at (210) 678-3700 and ask for Eric.

I would have to agree with Pro3 in that it is paramount to devote a significant part of your focus to ppf to get your skillset built up and get the business rolling.  

Most of our more successful installers that I talk to that started with tint or vinyl and transitioned successfully into ppf, told me that they started by devoting a certain amount of time to marketing ppf during the first year.  For some, that was a minimum of 1 full day per week and others it was 2 hours per day pounding the pavement, doing demo installs, speaking at car club events, etc.  From an installation standpoint, you'll want to install on at least 2-3 cars per week, even if it just for friends or family, to make sure that you maintain (and build upon) the skills that you learned in training.  In order for that to be affordable, many times the plotter is actually the less expensive option when compared to purchasing kits individually over a period of a few months.  Being that ppf is generally installed on brand new cars, you'll likely need to go after dealership business to start generating income.  That means pretty slim margins and no room for error when purchasing kits.  Once you have built a reputation and the phone regularly rings for retail installs, you can decide whether you want to switch completely to retail, or to hire someone else to handle the wholesale work for you, but wholesale work is almost a neccessary evil to jumpstart your business in most markets.

I am, by no means, saying that you can't operate a successful tint AND ppf business, but merely suggesting that you make a strong effort in building your ppf business during the first year, even if it means giving up some revenue on the tint side and making a solid investment in time and resources early on.  

Thank you I appreciate everyones input and advice, my cousin recently started working with me and is gradually picking up on the tint work and what lies behind it, as he hones his skill I intend to put less time into tint and more into ppf.  Hopefully it works out, although it may not.  

As far as the market for ppf in my area, it is wide open, and not 1 person in my area installing ppf, but the problem with that is that nobody is educated on the product!  Which is where the pounding pavement part of it comes in.  As the tinting season slows down I want to make that transition.  I know it will be tough to install 2-3 friends and family cars a week.

.  Being that ppf is generally installed on brand new cars, you'll likely need to go after dealership business to start generating income.  completely to retail, or to hire someone else to handle the wholesale work for you, but wholesale work is almost a neccessary evil to jumpstart your business in most markets.

To get the dealership work, you have to start off cheap just to get them to listen. When you finally get that meeting, you must insist on having at least TWO managers in attendance because you are going to pit them against each other later on.

I'd begin by offering less coverage and start with what I call a "wear and tear" package.  Door cups and edges plus a luggage strip.  That way you are going in with something you can quickly install right there and show them what it looks like.  Tell them most dealerships clear at least $150 on this.  If they sell 50+ cars with this a month, that's an easy $7500 free and clear profit.  Times twelve months that's $90,000 a year.

Here's where the two managers come into play.  As you are explaining how easy it is for them to clear nearly a hundred grand a year for the dealership, look each one in the eye as you ask "Which one of you don't want to show an extra $100,000 profit to your boss next year?"  They have to say yes to that and you are in.

Speed is right on.  To hit a minimal price point, offer minimal coverage.  That'll offer the past of least resistance, build acceptance in the dealership, and allow you to ramp up your skillset, as you will certainly start to get inquiries for larger coverage once the wear and tear packages start moving.

Archived